Deep V I/O

Indymike

Petty Officer 1st Class
1980 Wellcraft 220XL. 21' and change. Deep V 22* to 24*ish. Nearly 5000# on the water with fuel and people and gear.
Mercruiser alpha I, 1.47 ratio, 350 V8 pushing near 300 HP.
Current prop is a turning point hustler 19" Al. Bought this prop as an inexpensive starting point. It is actually a pretty good prop. But...I need to get more hull out of the water, and she does not respond to trim well. Good out of the hole...pulls a 200# slalom skier no problem, and planes out very quick. Hull has a bit of factory hook in it, no doubt helping with the hole shot and time to plane. Would like to go to a stainless prop to help performance. Best numbers are 4600 rpm @ 52 MPH gps. The motor has a bit more to give but I need a prop to help. Looking for 4800 rpm and more top end.
Need the midas touch.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: Deep V I/O

The prop you have now is running @ 7% slip which is extremely good for a alum...I dont think you are going to see any more improvement on top end if all your numbers a accurate...A 18p in a stilletto baypro 11 in a 4 blade will improve hole shot and midrange with a bit of a chance at increasing to end....Other than that you will have to lower pitch to up the rpm's.......and i doubt any prop will lower slip enough to increase speed 7% is tough to beat.

The BayPro will give results like a 19p 3 blade ss if it can lift the hull enough to reduce wetted surface but 5000 lbs is iffy. I run a 19' Wellcraft 3500 lbs and can get a 4% slip going with a 20p 4blade now if the prop works as well on your hull 54 mph may be possible

Indymike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Deep V I/O

Just got back from the river. Tested a MichiganWheel 3 blade SS 19". I don't have the exact model # but the Al. Turning Point outperformed the Stainless MW. I was able to see 4850 rpm but only 51 gps. I found I could over trim the MW to where it lost bite. Have not had that happen with the TP. The TP has more cup the the MW. One problem with the comparison is that I had the bimini top on with the MW. I would love to test the stilettos you refer to. I've been looking for a used one to test.