deck paint

pete44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Will be ready soon (in theory) to paint deck and other components (above water line)...Any suggestions of what paint to get to best guard against moisture/water?

Thanks, Pete

Re: deck paint

Pete,

There are lots of paint choices. Need more info on what you are actually painting...wood? fiberglass covered wood?? gelcoat?

Also depends on the usage of the surface being painted (i.e. fishing boat deck, cruiser, etc.) Are planning on covering the deck after painting with carpet?

Maybe a few pics too would be helpful.

pete44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Greg...Do not have recent pics....It is a 87 SeaRay Seville 17 foot bowrider...It is glassed over wood (birch)..I have been using US Composites fiberglass resin and CSM/woven roven cloths...I noticed the old "factory paint" SeaRay used is a grey paint that after 23 years has held up great...Anyone else?...

Pete

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Gelcoat it Pete...

Paint does not like standing water...

I have not seen a Sea Ray thats been "painted" from the factory :) .

YD.

srimes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well, yeah. just giving an example of paint that handles standing water just fine ;)

lrcustom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pete,
What appears to be gray paint in your Ray is in fact a gelcoat. I thought it was paint in mine but when I tore her down and started the removal for the new glass I discovered that it was gel. So there ya go. Hope your gettin that Ray done and on the water soon.

Later

LR

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

great question was answered here as I thought mine was a paint as well.

Was possibly thinking about that 2 part epoxy paint they apply to garage floors, I haven't done much research yet on it.

Will have to check on the gelcoat as well.

sail on..... tink

Pete,

Yeah sounds like gel coat was originally used. I agree with what the Yacht Dr said. You can just roll a layer of gel coat back on after the fiberglass work is completed. Only tricky issue with gel coat is getting the thickness correct...but not un-doable. You can also use paint but I would stick to a nominally priced anti-skid paint or a rustoleum marine paint. Higher end two-part marine paints wouldn't give too much more service life considering their premium price. Besides repairing and/or painting would be a bit easier with the paint, just clean and recoat when needed.

woodrat

Ensign

I used Kel-Kote non-skid deck coating in the boat I just put together. It is thick and tough and very non-slippery. However, I did notice that when I spilled a little bit of gasoline on a spot, it made it soft until it dried out again. Don't believe their coverage information on the can, though. I ended up using a LOT more than they stated to get good coverage.