Decarbonizaton

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Definitions. For our internal combustion engines, decarbonization means something different than what some think now, looking for info on this today yields...

"Decarbonization (also decarbonisation) is the process of significantly reducing or eliminating carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from the atmosphere"

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I always take it as removing carbon deposits from the combustion chamber. usually with about 6 oz of water followed by an italian tune-up.

flashback

Captain
I always take it as removing carbon deposits from the combustion chamber. usually with about 6 oz of water followed by an italian tune-up.
That's how I see it although I use ring free, power tune, etc. not ever tried water.

flashback

Captain
I had a 1969 tempest that in an attempt to inject a bit of water I glued a basket ball inflation needle through the thick gasket under the carb and fed it from a pop bottle but it didn't seem to give me the experience I was looking for..LOL

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
With most of the Mopars from my youth. 3 Dixie cups of water. Engine RPM at 2000. Dump each down the intake. Replace air filter, close hood, do a high speed pull down the road

Now for the direct injected engines, a can of upper cylinder cleaner every oil change

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
for some reason the 70 skylark never got too much carbon build-up

good thing I didn't know about water injection

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... My ole Land Rover manual suggested, running it up to a couple grand, high idle, 'n pouring a soda bottle of water down the throat of the carb, once a year or so,.....

Not that it happens often, but if you Know yer gonna tear down a motor, yer cleaning parts time can be cut from hours, to minutes, by doing the same process, just before final shut-down,...

64osby

Admiral
Ayuh,..... My ole Land Rover manual suggested, running it up to a couple grand, high idle, 'n pouring a soda bottle of water down the throat of the carb, once a year or so,.....

Not that it happens often, but if you Know yer gonna tear down a motor, yer cleaning parts time can be cut from hours, to minutes, by doing the same process, just before final shut-down,...
What year Land Rover do you have?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Sold 'em,... had a '73, 88" gas, 'n a '68, 109" diesel,....