decabronizing

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: decabronizing

I consider it to be getting rid of the carbon built up in the engine from combustion processes. Too many deposits and the rings will seize in the grooves and build up will occur on top of the piston and the top of the head. Low temperature running and also high oil mix contribute to it.
You can do a decarbonise the longer way which is more thorough by dismantling the engine and soaking the pistons etc in a solvent or you can do a pretty good job by running seafoam through the fuel/carbs.

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya "Seafoam" will do the trick, just follow the instructions. I think Walmart carries it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I've always used BRP Engine Tuner and if you follow the direction on the can it really works good.

kfa4303

Banned

+1 it's just a process of adding a combustable, organic solvent like Seafoam/DeepCreep/Engine Tuner to you fuel which will help to remove built up carbon deposits on the pistons and rings. Ideally, you should notice a smoother idle and better overall performance after you use it. It's good stuff, but it smokes like a mofo, so warn the neighbors (seriously). After you run it in the test tank you'll want to take to motor on the open water and run it at WOT to bring it up to temp. It's a good idea to put some new plugs in afterwards too. Here's a vid of it in action. You can either spray it directly into the carb while the motor is running like he is and/or add it to your regular fuel/oil mix per the directions on the bottle.

SeaFoaming 1965 18 HP Johnson - YouTube