Deadrise

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer
As you probably surmised from my other posts I am not too clever

I have read about deadrise , but I am not sure what the differences are other then a flat bottom boat

How do you measure it, can anyone figure what mine is

Attachments

• D1.jpg
    D1.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 0
  • d2.jpg
    d2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 0

marcortez

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Deadrise

Consensus is: measured at the stern.....the amount of angle from the low point (keel) to where the hull meets the "chine"

Forward parts of some hulls, have what look like a very steep entry...yet then taper off to far less at the transom.
Hence, the favored method is measured at the transom.

Philster

Captain

f0085-01.png

Also: http://www.tropicalboating.com/powerboating/deadrise-hull-angle.html

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

I don't even know what end of the boat I am supposed to look at, the picture is the one I looked at first and mistook it for the bow

my stern has lots of steps

Attachments

• d3.jpg
    d3.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 0

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I don't even know what end of the boat I am supposed to look at, the picture is the one I looked at first and mistook it for the bow

my stern has lots of steps
Pretty shallow deadrise. My guess is 18 degrees or less

FWIW: Your aluminum transom trim is in pretty bad shape. Suggest you remove it to see what is under there. A lot of manufactures don't glass under there for some reason. I've seen more than a couple of transoms that needed replaced due to water intrustion from that location.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Got a protractor? That will tell you the deadrise even from a picture:)

You can print them online too if you don't have one laying around with your high school drafting kit;)

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

Pretty shallow deadrise. My guess is 18 degrees or less

FWIW: Your aluminum transom trim is in pretty bad shape. Suggest you remove it to see what is under there. A lot of manufactures don't glass under there for some reason. I've seen more than a couple of transoms that needed replaced due to water intrustion from that location.

Hmmm what parts look bad? aside from some water marks I can't see much. However, as I have said before I am not too clever and would hate to have the transom fall off :eek:

How would one remove it?

Last edited:

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Lrider,
BTW, those "steps" are called strakes, more accurately, "lifting strakes". Where the hullside meets the hull bottom is called the chine...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Hmmm what parts look bad? aside from some water marks I can't see much. However, as I have said before I am not too clever and would hate to have the transom fall off :eek:

How would one remove it?
Could just be the picture but it looks rough.

The trim is held on with several screws. Don't tear it completely off yet. Remove a couple of screws. A dead give away is the end of a screw rusted off. Stick an ice pick in the holes. Ice pick shouldn't penetrate the wood.

Inspect the brass drain sleeves as well. Pretty common for them to crack and allow water to get in the core of the transom.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

The transom is 2.5 inches thick and the trim doesn't completely cover it. I would guess if I did remove the trim it would be completely fiberglassed over.

The previous owner used a bunch of bathroom caulk all around the boat, I am not sure why. I will need to take her out a few times and gradually remove the caulk to see if I can figure out why he did that. It is very old caulk.

The boat is a Sailfish and so far I think it is built pretty solid.

I did give the screws a tweek, however they were solid (wouldn't move), so I thing I will leave well enough alone for now.

There are no dead or hollow sounds when the floor, hull and transom are tapped with a plastic mallet.

By the way, Sailfish is very proud of their variable deadrise deep vee offshore boats

I need to finish rewiring and soon I will be able to take her out and see what she can do

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I printed the pic here at work and measured with a protractor. Yes I am an engineering dork! :) I got 14-15 degrees of dead rise. Best I could come up with using an internet picture.

clarkbre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So what makes for a more stable boat, a high or low degree deadrise? My Lund WC16 is pretty flat, but where the floor meets the walls are rounded. The boat is very stable yet kinda rolls a lot.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The transom is 2.5 inches thick and the trim doesn't completely cover it. I would guess if I did remove the trim it would be completely fiberglassed over.
One would think but 9 times out of 10 it's not and here is why.

Your boat was made in two parts. The hull and the liner. The majority of the thickness you see at the top of the transom is the liner. What you don't see because it's hidden under the aluminum trim is the joint between the hull and the liner. If you see caulk in that area you?re pretty well assured that there is, or was, an issue there.

marcortez

Petty Officer 1st Class

The previous owner used a bunch of bathroom caulk all around the boat, I am not sure why.

Why, is most certainly because something was leaking or coming apart at the seams.....namely the joint where the cockpit and hull join....along the rub rail.

Bathroom caulk is for bathrooms....and as anyone knows, is weak and only keeps out leaks for a while.

That previous owner took a shortcut and tried to save some money.
Now you, as the new owner, are getting the short end of his handy work.

Soon, if not right now, water is finding it's way into the boat from a separating hull/deck joint.....to include that aluminum cap over the transom.

If access allows, look up "under" the gunnels, where the cockpit meets the hull.
Your looking for missing, rusted or loose screws, signs of water intrusion and gaps in the bathroom junk.

Any boat worth it's salt will have SS hardware, through bolted from the cockpit liner to the hull.....along the lip that joins the two together.
If not, it's a matter of time before that seam separates from the constant flexing of the 2 structures.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

There may be an issue, and I am sure I will find it, thank you :)

What I didn't explain very well was, the person was caulk crazy, even the wind shield was caulked. He caulked the lower edge to the console, is why you see all the black junk there.

Attachments

• d6.jpg
    d6.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 0