Dead man switch question....

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey fellers....starting to get cabin fever now, and thinking about all the stuff I need to get in order before spring.

My 72 Johnson 25 horse doesn't have a dead man switch on it now...and I'd REALLLLLY like to add one come spring.

Is it possible to add one on this motor?? I'm pretty sure it's much easier on the CD ignitions, compared to the points, but I think it can be done.

Can somebody point me in the right direction on how to install one....links, diagrams, whatever.

I've got just about every Johnnyrude manual downloaded on the computer, but can't recall anything about a dead man switch install...

Thanks dudes!!!!!

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Dead man switch question....

Hi garzilla. I think we've all got cabin fever these days. Is your boat tiller drive or remote steering? I just put in a dead man's switch on my '61 10 hp tiller drive Johnson. It was a piece of cake. If your motor already has a push button kill switch to stop the motor, then half the work is done for you. All you need to do is cut the wires behind the switch and remove it. You'll then need to strip a bit of insulation off of the tip of each wire and then install a male adapter on each tip. You can then install the kill switch. It should fit right in the old hole with little or know modification. Then just attach the wires on the C-posts on the back of the switch and that's it. From then on, you should be able to push the red button with the lanyard in to kill the motor just like the old push button kill switch, and/or you can yank out the lanyard to kill the motor. If for some reason the switch seems to work backwards (i.e. the motor dies when you put the lanyard in and runs when you pull it out), then just put the wires on the other set of posts and you'll be fine.
If your motor does not already have a push button kill switch, no worries. All you need to do is drill a small hole in your armature plate so that two 14 gauge wires can fit through. Strip a bit of insulation off the tip of each, then add a ring adapter to each wire. Route one wire to each set of points and attach it to the points using the same screw that the coil and condenser wire are screwed into the points with. Make sure the wires are tucked out of the way and that they can't be damaged as you twist the throttle. Then just route them to the kill switch as described above. Here's a link to the switch I used, but there are several different brands. Just make sure that it's designed to kill the motor when the lanyard is pulled. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow of mine. I know NOTHING about electrical stuff but even I could do it. hope it helps some.

Male/Ring adapters pic:

adapters.jpg

Kill switch pic:

http://www.amazon.com/Seachoice-Uni...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1297224571&sr=8-3

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks a ton kfa!!
Sounds easy enough...i need to check your links when I get home and on a computer.

kfa4303

Banned

didn't get any pics of my setup today, but will try to post them tomorrow. there are also tons of great posts here in the forums about installing kill switches too. I know I feel a lot better hitting the water with one, expecially when I'm alone. plus it looks kinda cool too, which is the most important thing afterall.

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hell yeah!
I might occasionally loan it out to a buddy that likes to sip on grandpas old cough medicine too....lol