Dead in the water

Rinker85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I have a 2001 Volvo Penta 5.7L GS. Today I left the Marina and got about a mile away. As soon as I increased speed the engine backfired and quit. I tried to restart the boat but it would not turn over at all. No power going to the starter. One battery is brand new the other is a couple years old. They both showed full 12 volts. Would a fuel pump relay cause this? I mean to actually shut down power to the ignition. Or would a bad alternator cause this? But how would I get a mile up the River with a bad alternator?

ChrisinPHX

Seaman
Breakers good? They can be really hard to press in if one popped. Check them if you haven't already.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
no, a fuel pump relay would not cause it to not turn over.

a bad connection on either the battery cables, the starter, or the block would.

clean all the connections with a wire brush or 150 grit sand paper, make sure they are tight.

Rinker85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Scott. All connections are tight and clean. I took the alternator out to get tested on Monday. What I don’t understand is if I was using battery 2 and a bad alternator was not charging battery 2 why wouldn’t battery 1 start the boat ?

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I believe the alternator powers the fuel pump(s) after starting, you might just have been running of the fuel bowl of the carb.