Daughter off to Beijing--wish her well!

PW2

Commander
My daughter qualified for the world championships of the paratriathon by winning in NYC this August. She's off this Saturday to compete in Beijing and represent her country.

http://www.usatriathlon.org/news/20...-stars-earn-national-titles-in-new-york/43994

The NYC race was fun, but a lot of drama. Wind and weather made the Hudson River swim leg a serious challenge. As if swimming in the Hudson River could ever be made easy.

Her guide had some problems with some sort of injury, but she still won, although she is convinced it added several minutes to her overall time.

She has a new guide for Beijing--one she has not yet even met, let alone raced with (she's from Los Angeles). Should be interesting.

We had a great time in NYC, although I am pretty sure NYC is designed for younger, skinnier people with fatter wallets than mine.

Still had a great time, but no, I am not going to China!

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Daughter off to Beijing--wish her well!

I wish her well in the Bejing triathlon. Its a funny sport that calls an event that lasts over an hour a sprint. I've done a few few sprints and a team Olympic length triathlon. The swim and bike are fun but I don't like running so much anymore.

PW2

Commander

Her hardest part is the swim.

And they implemented new rules that require her to wear "blackout" goggles, theoretically to level the playing field as she has some very limited vision (mostly just light perception) but when you lose even that it can be a bit disorienting---
but compared to the Ironman, it is a sprint

aspeck

Staff member

Congrats and well wishes to her! You truly have a remarkable daughter, but then you don't need to be told that!;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

How proud you must be, PW2, and justly so. I wish her fair winds and following seas. :)

JRJ

Commander

Thats pretty neat. Congrats to your daughter and you too ;)