data tag location

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
having issues finding the data tag on my 1995 4.3 engine. I found the one on the outdrive, but cannot for the life of me find the one for the engine. Does anyone here know where they are hidden?

ScottinAZ

The sticker was intended to last thru the 1 year warranty period.
Figures... doesnt do me a damn bit of good now for ID purposes though..... At least for 95, there was only one 4.3 combo listed, so it should still be easy to find the correct parts....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
For the motor, you are dealing with the 1992-1995 vintage of motor. Balance shafts, non vortec

ScottinAZ

For the motor, you are dealing with the 1992-1995 vintage of motor. Balance shafts, non vortec
yep. even though it has the plastic "Vortec" valve covers on it, it has a set of 181 heads, which are distinctly non-vortec...... looks like a pair of 3/4 scale smallblock emissions heads.... pistons as well with the small dish and 4 valve reliefs....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
4-relief pistons are stock carp. Nothing special. It allows Johny assembly line worker to be able to assemble the motor on a Monday with a hangover

Chev used the Vortec name long before the vortec heads. The Gen 2 SBC (LT1) used the same combustion chamber as the vortec heads, however the V6 didn't get them

ScottinAZ

4-relief pistons are stock carp. Nothing special. It allows Johny assembly line worker to be able to assemble the motor on a Monday with a hangover

Chev used the Vortec name long before the vortec heads. The Gen 2 SBC (LT1) used the same combustion chamber as the vortec heads, however the V6 didn't get them
yep, looks like the same inside as engines Ive been doing since I was a kid.... as you say, nothing special, and definitely not at the top of the heap for performance. If I had my druthers, I would completely redo the motor, (or v-8 swap it) but that isnt in the cards for this year. I want to get this thing wet this year.....

ScottinAZ

just as an update, I finally found the damn tag.... buried under a mass of dust.... its on the Port valve cover.... and sure enough, I have the drive I thought I did... 432APHUB