Damage to Lower Unit

Dan Beisel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1970 Johnson 115 HP<br /><br />Well, it's always something! I dropped the lower unit today to put in a new water pump and I came across some damage to the lower unit housing.<br /><br />I don't have a way of posting a picture so the only way I can describe the location is that it's the smaller plate above the cavitation plate on the port side. There is a dent on the forward most part of this plate (looks like it smacked something although I don't know when, how, where, or why). There is a crack above the dent.<br /><br />I apologize if my description is lacking, I could e-mail a picture if someone out there is interested. My question is: how big of a problem is this and is there anything I can do to fix it?<br /><br />Thanks in advance,<br />Dan

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Damage to Lower Unit

Most likely its not a problem. Any water in the lower unit oil?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Dan....I think I get the picture. Do this, check the gear case lube for any water. Then do a pressure test. The gear case should hold about 15psi air without loss for 15minutes. If the gearcase starts losing pressure right away, use a soap solution on the crack. If it bubbles, it's cracked all the way through. If all is ok, clean it up and use some body putty in the crack. Repaint. Good to go.

Dan Beisel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm not exactly sure what to look for with the gear lube. I know a "milky" substance means water, but mine feels pretty much like gear oil although it is kind of tan in color.<br /><br />OBJ-<br />What's the best way to do the pressure test? I do have an air compressor if that would help.<br /><br />Thanks guys!<br />Dan

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I got a bicycle pump and put a fitting on the end with a pressure gauge. Works ok. If you can dump the lower unit in water and just pump it up and watch for bubbles, that would be OK to. If the oil looks good, you may not even have a problem.<br /><br />By the way....don't use a compressor unless you can cut the output way down to 15psi. Thats' a good way to blow all yer seals.

AznDrgn

Cadet

here's the pic.<br />
crackedplate.jpg

Dan Beisel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Azn Drgn! I got motivated to figure out the whole pic post thing so now I can do it myself.<br /><br />Well, OBJ, I carefully pressurized the lower unit with my compressor (testing the outlet pressure with a gauge to make sure). It didn't seem loose pressure but I squirted soapy water at the crack anyways, and no bubbles. I also put the cracked part of the unit into a tank and pressurized it through the vent plug and no bubbles. Then I opened the lower drain plug (after taking it out of the water) and no water came out.<br /><br />My next question is, after looking at the picture, should I bother trying to hammer the bent part straight and risk a further crack or just fill and paint it? Would Marine Tex work for filling?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Dan

D

DJ

Fill it and paint it.<br /><br />JB Weld would probably work better.

Dan Beisel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like a plan, thanks everyone for the assistance, I'll let this post die out!<br /><br />Dan

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Gee I like a happy ending! :D :D