Damage to electric starter?

MCWCA

Cadet
I have a 1989? 30hp Johnson. A mechanic said that I ruined the electric starter motor by pull starting it with the battery disconnected.
Is that true? Never heard that before.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Damage to electric starter?

More likely you damaged the charging components because the battery was un hooked when you ran the motor.Hand cranking won't damage the starter.
Of course if your charging circuit was damaged and you used the battery to start ; the battery would eventually be to weak to crank.
A healthy battery will start a motor many many times without the benefit of a charging circuit.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

get a new mechanic. you probably blew the rectifier. but could have damaged the stator. not the starter may be you miss understood starter for stator.

coolguy147

Commander

y would it ruin the starter? i mean think about it. only way i can think of that might be common mistake to damage the starter is if the key kept sticking or u kept turning over the starter after the motor started. or u kept trying to start the motor without giving it a break ot cool then retry

MCWCA

Cadet

Maybe he did say something about the charging unit or something like that. So is this bad to do? Pull start it without the battery connected? I swear I have never heard of that before...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

expensive. it won;t run without it.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

To answer your question,yes it's bad. NEVER start the motor without a battery attached. Now you need either a stator or rectifier,or possibly both.