cylinder drain valve

bayliner12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
does any one know how to remove the check valve in a cylinder drain valve for a 1991 120HP L drive

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: cylinder drain valve

I believe the drain valve assy is a friction fit in the drain cover itself. Unless it has been physically damaged, you should be able to take some carburetor cleaner and clean it out. The drain valves that I've seen consist of a ball bearing and a spring. Some of the early ones had a metal spring flap or something similar. If it is in fact damaged and all efforts to clean it out to restore functionality fail, then the only thing I can think of would be to drill it out, taking care not to damage the drain cover itself. Replacement valves are cheap and available. It may take some time to order one as they may not be in stock.

bayliner12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this one is on the out side of the engine head, the valves are just a ball type check valve, one of the balls is dameged and i need to replace the ball and seat assembly

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

This diagram should have what you need. Item 3 is a "T" fitting with a check valve. Item 5 is just a straight single fitting with check valve. I would call to verify if they have them in stock. I've ordered them before, but they always have to special order them. Takes a couple of weeks.

bayliner12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

attached is a picture of the valvle, the 2 holes have a ball in them and are the check valve, that seat assembly is what im talking about

Attachments

• DSCF0059.jpg
    DSCF0059.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 0

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

bayliner12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i found the part and ordered it...your right i wont get it until the first week of september, but i still dont know how to get the assembly/ seat out

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

I believe they're pressed in. I would imagine that they would probably be difficult to pull out since there isn't much of a lip, if any to get a hold of. If you could thread a screw into the valve assy., you may be able to pull it out that way. Heat up the drain valve cover to expand it and possibly make it easier to extract. Don't use too much heat though. Another option would be to try drilling, but you have to be very careful not to damage the drain valve cover itself.

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class

go the screw route,as this would be the less likely to tear up something else. Since your putting pressure on the seat only[via the sheet metal screw],you run little risk of hurting other pieces. Just my 2 cents worth.ANT other suggestions??? MOPARMAN