Cylinder #1 not getting fuel, Carb bowl empty

scooter79

Cadet
I have a 2007 50 hp ELPTO 3 cylinder. I have been having problems with idle and slow speeds through no wakes zones, on plane about WOT no problems motor runs like a champ. The motor spits and sputters like it has a miss fire or sucking air. I have checked the timing, replaced plugs 3 times, fogged motor with seafoam, checked ignition, got between 228 and 235 on volt meter and paid for carb rebuild. I have taken the SS prop off and put stock back on and adjusted the carbs by the Mercury Manual. Conducted compression test cyl 1 was 118 cyl 2 was 125 and cyl 3 was 124. I started the motor and pulled cyl 1 plug wire, no change reconnected it and move to cyl 2 removed plug wire and motor fell on it's face and bout died. I reconnected the plug and move to cyl 3 and removed the plug wire, motor had some change but not as drastic as cyl 2. I thought there was no way the carbs were bad I just had them build 2 months ago. So I removed the upper carb and removed the drain plug from the bowl and drained little to no fuel. Middle and lower carbs were good. I stripped the upper carb down to see if there was a blockage somewhere and found nothing. What would cause the upper carb to not get fuel but the other 2 carbs get fuel for the fuel feeds from top to bottom. Any and all help would be great.. Thanks...:confused:

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Did you visually check spark on #1 by holding to engine block while out.Could be coil,stator or switchbox.With the coughing and splutter I wouldnt rule out reed valves either.

enginepower

Petty Officer 1st Class
Float not adjusted right, needle sticking or....what my buddy had on his 200. The needle seat wasn't tight enough and started backing off enough to jam the needle closed. Make sure the seat is tightened properly then check the float for proper adjustment and that it drops enough in bowl to open up for fuel to flow.

scooter79

Cadet
aussieflash- I checked to see if there was "spit back" from the carbs, there wasn't anything there so we kind of ruled out the reads. When I put a load (over 2500 rpm) everything functions normal. When I start the motor and let it idle or put it in forward gear under 2500 rpm it spits and sputters then after about 10 minutes or so it will die and lose prime. I checked the arc against the block on all three plugs couldn't ask for a better or louder arc.
enginepower- Before I disassembled the carbs I checked the floats the should be at 9/16 all three where right at 9/16.