Custom sun platform and rear seat building method query????

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class
I plan on making a custom sun platform/engine cover that is also the rear seat back rest. Is it impossible to make the frame/shape from 2x2 timber and stretch fleece over it and epoxy to create the shape, then build in strength with 3 or layers of 1708. What would be disadvantages to this method. The whole sun platform with be no more than 6ft x 3ft.

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Custom sun platform and rear seat building method query????

Bump...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Anything can be fabricated. Only your imagination limits the possibilities. If you post some drawings and pics of what you have in mind I'm certain you'll get a plethora of ideas from the iBoat members.

cedarlattice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am thinking of the same thing for my boat when I get my transom, stringers, and floor done. I was thinking of using 1/2" plywood and cover it with resin/cloth. It may be lighter with layering cloth, but I don't know enough about it yet. Maybe someone on here has some strength to weight ratio info. I am sure the cost would be alot more just building layers of cloth. I have also been thinking of a way to do it and still be able to get access to the front of the engine. I have been looking on here for some time and havn't found any info. If I can't find the right way to do it, about January I will be doing it my way.

emoney

Commander

Out of pure curiousity, why fleece? I've watched guys make dashes or speaker boxes by glassing over the pink insulation sheets, but never a material. Will it be strong enough? You've got to do a build thread, you know, complete with tons of pics! Good luck!