Custom Center Console Rebuild

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Custom Center Console Rebuild

Nice work. Are you using the same console on the rebuild? I'm rebuilding a similar boat, albeit aluminum, and am using a much smaller console to free up deck space. That one looks large for that size of craft.

stuckinthehole

Seaman Apprentice

I do plan to use the same center console. It will help a bit on the costs of everything not having to buy one but It would be nice to free up a little bit of space up front by moving it back a bit but I will have to see when I fit it back in. probably about 2 weeks until I start mounting that.

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

Well hello there sir! Nice to discover an iboater that I know. Nice looking boat you have there. Gonna be awesome to use knowing it is 100%...and you made it that way!

stuckinthehole

Seaman Apprentice

DSC01571.jpgDSC01569.jpg

Couple of quick photos of the progress. Paint is done!! Ill get a better photo of that off the other camera tomorrow. Center console is in and the majority of wiring is complete. Still have to install the stereo and speakers. Deck plate is installed so that I can keep an eye on that forward compartment to make sure that no water stays in there. (shouldn't since the drain is fixed but I want to be able to keep an eye on it.) started installing all the hatches.

Yet to be completed:
Mount jack plate, motor and connect everything!
Connect livewell
Connect Stern light
install cockpit drains and tubes.
fuel fill and vent lines
install rubrail
install batteries.
TEST EVERYTHING

Probably forgetting some stuff at the moment but I will figure it out. Hope to be up and running sometime this weekend if the parts I just ordered come in on time. if not, early next week!!!

stuckinthehole

Seaman Apprentice

Got a little set back waiting on some parts but now it is almost complete!! Motor is mounted. Had to remove the powerhead to install a new shift shaft for the lower unit that I bought from SEI. Had some trouble getting it off but eventually it came free. I replaced the studs on the powerhead because they were rusted and corroded. All Lights and electrical equipment are installed and working. Stereo works but may need to move where I mounted it inside the console to make access a little easier. Though I was going to have a remote to use for it but it is not working. Cockpit drains and tubes are installed. Fuel line installed. Rub rail on. Started her up today on the muffs and she ran pretty well. probably going to take it o the lake tomorrow for a test run on the water. I have about 10 hours of run time until the lower unit is broken in. a few runs this week and then it will be ready for some saltwater fishing this weekend!!

DSC01569 (800x600).jpgDSC01573 (800x600).jpgP6210017 (800x600).jpgP6210018 (800x600).jpgP6210019 (800x600).jpg

Gator1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello just saw your thread for the first time. I am thinking of building a microskiff when I finish my current project.
I know that it kind of sucks to post a bunch of pics and take time to write out a post and have no one respond so let me be the first to congratulate you on getting back on the water and a great looking rig. It did not go unnoticed. Happy boating.

stuckinthehole

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Gator! Good luck on your build if you decide to tackle it. The only thing that is not working at the moment is the Tach. It wasn't working before the rebuild so I found a different gauge but still no luck. It must be something with the wiring but I'm not sure how to diagnose it. Any suggestions?

Gator1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

You said that you had tried a different tach so I guess that rules out that possibility.

I would check all connections first. Not sure on the wiring for your particular motor but there should be a wire from ignition supplying 12V+ to the tach, a ground wire and a sender wire. I'd check for the 12 volts with a volt meter. If 12 v is present, then I would check for continuity in the sending wire. Assuming the wire is good and you are getting power form the signal wire, I would double check the range you have the tach set to and make sure that it is set properly.

The signal lead is fed by the recitifier I believe, so that would probably be my next stop. I would imagine there are steps to troubleshoot the rectifier assembly somewhere here on Iboats. I am no expert, just try to provide a neutral opinion on the troubleshooting process. If you have already done all of this, your best bet is to start at thread in the section that covers your motor. I guarantee that you will get more and better help than you get from me. Good Luck, I'll keep an eye out for your solution.

stuckinthehole

Seaman Apprentice

Checked the voltage at the battery with the motor off and got 12.2 V then checked it with the motor running and got the same voltage. I assume this means that the recitifier is not working and needs to be replaced. I am hoping that is the problem with the tach. Now I need to locate a new recitifier.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi stuck...Just got all caught up on your thread...very nice work!
Don't start changing a bunch of parts just yet...
Depending on your engine, there should be a Tach Lead coming from the engine to the tach, which provides a signal.
I am not an outboard pro, but the guys on the engine forums know their stuff...
Like Gator1996 said...
Start a thread over there in the appropriate engine section and they will be able to help you out...
Best of luck and have fun with your newly restored boat!
GT1M

stuckinthehole

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks GT. I will start a thread over there and see if I can troubleshoot the tach.

stuckinthehole

Seaman Apprentice

pulled into the motor this weekend and seems that the problem was the 2 yellow wires from the stator to the voltage regulator had melted their connectors and burnt together. Probably happened prior to me owning the boat since the wires were not visible behind the starter. spliced new connections on the wires started it up. Everything seems to be working. Tach working and battery is charging. Any ideas on what would have caused the connections to melt and then burn together?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

pulled into the motor this weekend and seems that the problem was the 2 yellow wires from the stator to the voltage regulator had melted their connectors and burnt together. Probably happened prior to me owning the boat since the wires were not visible behind the starter. spliced new connections on the wires started it up. Everything seems to be working. Tach working and battery is charging. Any ideas on what would have caused the connections to melt and then burn together?

Excellent news! glad to hear you got it worked out...
Why the wires melted together...
One reason could be too much voltage/amperage running through them due to a low battery or weak/loose connection...
The other could be the motor may have experienced an overheating condition at one time...
They could also be routed through an area of the engine that generates excess heat...
They may have been chafed at some point causing them to short together...
That is all the reasons I can think of, right off...look for any and all of the possible causes to hopefully prevent future issues...

stuckinthehole

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks GT. I will investigate some of the possible causes.