Current Draw Problem

Rick76

Cadet
Brand new battery installed and after 2 weeks of non-use it is completely dead. I installed a new stereo and am thinking that is part of the problem. There are 2 "power" wires; one to power the radio and the other for memory. As in a car application, I am sure the memory lead does not draw much at all. But in the case of the main (red) power lead, where can it be connected so it is not drawing juice when the motor is off? I originally thought that this lead should not draw any power unless the radio was turned on but now I am beginning to doubt myself.

Motor is a 40 HP Johnson VRO with keyed ignition but I have no idea where to connect the power lead in that circuit. There is a fuse block under the dash that feeds the gauges, switches etc. but I am not sure if I can connect here.

I also read somewhere in this forum that my automatic bilge pump will also draw current even when it is not operating. Is this true?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Current Draw Problem

Put a toggle swtch for the red lead of the stereo and turn it off when not in use. That's pretty much all you can do. That is what I do with my stereo.

Your automatic bilge pump could draw power depending on what type it is. The type that uses a float switch won't but the type that spins the motor slightly to see if there is any mechanical load will draw power.

Rick76

Cadet

Put a toggle swtch for the red lead of the stereo and turn it off when not in use. That's pretty much all you can do. That is what I do with my stereo.

Your automatic bilge pump could draw power depending on what type it is. The type that uses a float switch won't but the type that spins the motor slightly to see if there is any mechanical load will draw power.

Yes, that's what I was considering but wasn't sure if that was the best solution. Does you stereo also have the 'memory' lead? And if so, is yours directly connected to constant power?

Not sure about my bilge pump. I think it has the float switch but I will double check on that.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

It has the memory lead. Since I don't care about station presets, I also hooked it up to the switch.

the only real way to test is with a muti-meter reading amps inline.
always more questions to ask when you start off with "Brand new battery installed".

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The radio also has a clock function so it too draws power although that would be through the station memory lead as well. Was the battery fully charged when you installed it? They generally are not fully charged when you leave the store.

NYBo

Admiral

I leave my 4+ year-old Group 24 cranking battery hooked up to the memory lead for my stereo, and it drops to maybe 75% charge after a couple of weeks. Something else is going on.

Rick76

Cadet

I assumed it was fully charged based on what the Marina told me, however, even if it wasn't I did fully charge it after the first episode.

I haven't had a chance to multimeter everything yet but I have decided to put in a cut-off switch anyway. I also have an XPS built-in charging/conditioning system to install yet as well.

Thanks for all the input mariners!