Crusader 350's running hot (HELP)

snowtrax00

Cadet
I have twin Crusader 350's in my 1995 Carver 325 Aft Cabin. They have about 700 hours in salt water and they always run hot. I've had the boat for two full summers and I've always been trying to fix this overheating problem. They run about 190-200 degrees all of the time and I never run them over 3,500rpm because I know these big boys don't like to rev. I've replaced the impellers already but it still gets to this temperature and stays there. It gets to the point where I get nervous. What else can I do?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Crusader 350's running hot (HELP)

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,....

What is the temp rating of the T-stats,..??
Have the heat exchangers been Cleaned out,..??
Are the Risers gettin' Restricted with crud,..??

snowtrax00

Cadet

190-200 degrees. I open the bilge so air can flow through and it keeps them under 200 at all times however, that is still pretty high in my opinion. I don't think the previous owner ever cleaned the heat exchangers so I will look into doing that. Will it tell me how to do it in my manual?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I'm guessin' that 190-200? is where it runs, not the T-stat ratings....

I think I'd throw in some 180? T-stats, 'n pull the risers off the manifolds, 'n see how crudded up they are....

I'd also pull the heat exchanger, 'n drag it on over to a Radiator Shop for a Good Cleanin',...

Probably throw in new Impellers too,... That's always the place to start in Any overheat situation...

Donno what yer manual will tell ya, Donno what you've got... Seloc, probably Not...

We'll walk ya through it if need be,...
Post up some pictures, so's We're all on the same page....

Donno why openin' the hatches helps though... It's all water cooled...
Are the bilges well vented,..??

snowtrax00

Cadet

I've already replaced the impellers. How do you clean the heat exchangers? If I use an acid rinse will it ruin it?

Megaslime

Cadet

I have twin crusaders 350's as well in a 85 carver one ran hot until I cleaned the heat exchanger out don't ever poke a coat hanger in those little holes, bad things happen.also changed the ignition module and got the stock ones in it, running 165 thermostat got the timing correct and it has been running great sence.

Megaslime

Cadet

Forgot to add that you might check the top of the oil cooler for blockage, they get pluged easy

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

In my salt water area and my past experience a thermostat over 143 will cause the risers to plug in a mater of hours.

snowtrax00

Cadet

How to I clean the heat exchangers? Do they come out easily?

Megaslime

Cadet

They come out real easy just take the cap off the end and don't use a hanger wire to poke threw the tubes, bad news there, I soaked mine in vinegar and it worked well overnight ought to do in then blast it with a water hose.

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just take the exchangers out, take them to a radiator shop and they will come back as new, just get some new paint to match or any paint. Don't try to do the job yourself, you will not be happy with, and will cost you and arm and a leg in the end.

Ritz-n

Recruit

Having similar problem - did the advise listed solve your problem

Bondo

Staff member

Having similar problem - did the advise listed solve your problem

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Start a thread of yer own, with yer details, 'n We'll see if We can find ya some help,...

The Op ain't been back since May 26th, 2012, 04:40 PM, 'n his problem ain't yer problem...