Cruising from Chesapeake to FL Keys

skim61

Seaman Apprentice
Has anyone done this, or a similar, trip on a similar boat? I was wondering the cost involved and good places to dock along the way.

My boat 1988 Chris-Craft Amerosport 284, twin Mercruiser 5.7s, fuel capacity 150 gals, fresh water capacity 25 gals.

20110507-boat-6.jpg

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Cruising from Chesapeake to FL Keys

Fireman431 and sasto will most likely be chiming in soon to fill you in on the Florida stretch of your proposed voyage; along with plenty of others along the way.

That's an absolutely beautiful boat for such a trip. You're going to have a terriffic time.

In so far as cost, your fuel consumption will be the big dictator of that subject. Find your sweet spot and enjoy the cruise!!! Figure out the nautical miles of your voyage. Given fair winds and calm seas the whole way, figure out your fuel consumption. If you're OK with the possibility of it costing three times your figure, you're golden... Anything less is a bonus.

Best of times to ya!!!

sasto

Captain

I've always avoided the ICW from Sebastain Inlet to Sandy Hook and the Hudson River. But I have many trips under my belt from Sebastain to the Keys. I would start by picking up a Waterway Guide and a publication by Skipper Bob.

Sure you can do it in your vessel! We met a guy the other day headed your way in a sailing canoe. I currently live on the ICW....stop by and say hi.

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

That sounds like one fun and looong trip. I agree about tha gas consumption... Its gonna be alot.
Chart your coarse well, watch out for any chance of bad weather, have reserves of oil, batteries, etc etc

Take many many pictures!!

skim61

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the advice. I was hoping someone could tell me the distance, generally, from mouth of the Chesapeake to Key Largo; of course, using the ICW. I am thinking of a week to ten days for time. Am I in the ballpark?

skim61

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, Alex. With a little more research, I found a table of distances. It shows from the mouth of the Chesapeake to Key West as 888 miles. I am planning to go to Islamorada, which is about 30 miles less. So it looks like the trip will be around 850 miles. Now, if I can only figure out how many MPG the boat gets.

Dual Mercruiser 5.7s, one has less than 2 hours after rebuild, the other has about 500 hours before reconditioning with new water pump, belts, hoses, Carb service, etc.

sasto

Captain

Mileage will vary. There are bridges, no wake zones, in FL you have Manatee no wake zones. I'm not a gasser, but I figure 400 gallons will get you there. I'm thinking if you have about $10,000 in your pocket you should be fine.

Good Luck!

skim61

Seaman Apprentice

There are bridges, no wake zones, in FL you have Manatee no wake zones.

I would think with those things slowing me down would result in less gas consumption. I would hope to get more than 2 miles to the gallon, but even so, 400 gallons x $5/gal = $2000. Where in the heck will the other $8000 go? I mean I know there are docking charges, etc., but what are the intangibles here?

I got estimates for land transport at $3000 and thought that would be more expensive! Maybe considering that would be a better option.

tr_guy79

Cadet

400 gallons if you run at idle with the tide and wind....

I would figure on about 600 gallons minimum, and that is minimum, and 7-8 days if you hit NO bad weather or snotty seas.

I would love to make that trip in my boat.... If you do it, start a daily blog so we can all live vicariously through you...

-Shane

sasto

Captain

I would think with those things slowing me down would result in less gas consumption. I would hope to get more than 2 miles to the gallon, but even so, 400 gallons x $5/gal = $2000. Where in the heck will the other $8000 go? I mean I know there are docking charges, etc., but what are the intangibles here?

I got estimates for land transport at $3000 and thought that would be more expensive! Maybe considering that would be a better option.

I was going by estimates from a friends Wellcraft that I run on a regular basis with simular power. You are correct about the consumption at idle, but must factor in the fuel used to get back up on plane and resume your cruise. I also factored in a return, which now appears you have no plans of doing at this time. Average cost of a marina would be appx. $80 a day X10. I added a couple thousand for an emergency. You may bend a couple props, drop a valve...just never know. I'm thinking $5000 each way. Your figures may vary.

400 gallons if you run at idle with the tide and wind....

You may be on something tr_guy. I see you have a Marinette, probably with 318's and a lightweight hull. I would assume you get simular fuel consumption as the Chris Craft.

Good Luck!

tr_guy79

Cadet

I was figuring on averaging 20mph, and getting about 1.5 mpg overall. You have to figure on less than ideal seas (more gas , slower speed) for at least a portion of the trip.

I haven't pinned down exactly what I burn, but it is a very efficient hull (30+ mph with twin 318s). Most with my setup report 1.50 - 1.75 mpg. I would estimate the Amerosport to be "about" the same. On a 888 mile trip that would put actual usage between 507 and 592 gallons, so with a fudge factor, 600 is a good number to assume in my book....

-Shane

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

If you plan on 1.5 MPG, you will be pretty close, if not erring on the side of caution. Find the sweet spot in your speed, usually just under 3/4 throttle. Personally, I would go a bit slower. It's easier on the engines and on the wallet. Besides, if you are going to make an 800 mile trip in a boat, it's not the destination, it's the journey. Relax and enjoy it.

Plan on an average speed of 10-12 MPH. This accounts for idle/no wake zones as well as time up on plane at 20-25 MPH. 800 miles will put you behind the wheel for approx 80 hours. If you spend the daylight constantly moving, plan on 7 days without incident. If I had the choice of boating or trailering...splash that sucker. Even if it costs more than you planned (it will) or takes longer than you thought (it will), you always wind up with great pics and stories.

skim61

Seaman Apprentice

Well, now we're getting somewhere! You're right, Sasto, the trip is one way. As for MPG, I will be moving the boat from Mechanicsville, MD to Curtis Bay or Pasadena, MD soon and will try to figure out what it eats at an average of 15 MPH. One thing that puzzles me and I need to get clarification on, is, the guy who sold it to me said he put 15 gals in each tank, but the gauges are reading 1/2 tank on port and 3/8 tank on starboard. All i have read says this boat holds 150gals.

If the trip estimates out around $5K, versus $3K for delivery, the price difference would be well worth the experience. I was planning 10 to 12 days to make it easy and have extra time for unpredictables. What are your opinions of a December time frame?

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Well, now we're getting somewhere! You're right, Sasto, the trip is one way. As for MPG, I will be moving the boat from Mechanicsville, MD to Curtis Bay or Pasadena, MD soon and will try to figure out what it eats at an average of 15 MPH. One thing that puzzles me and I need to get clarification on, is, the guy who sold it to me said he put 15 gals in each tank, but the gauges are reading 1/2 tank on port and 3/8 tank on starboard. All i have read says this boat holds 150gals.
The gauges or senders may be bad. Your shakedown trip will tell you. Just make sure you put enough gas in to cover the run!

If the trip estimates out around $5K, versus $3K for delivery, the price difference would be well worth the experience. I was planning 10 to 12 days to make it easy and have extra time for unpredictables. What are your opinions of a December time frame?
Well, hurricane season is over Nov 1, and the ICW should have snowbird traffic (which is a good thing IMO), but you'll risk running in the cold up north. It's a great experience if you prepare and plan.
FYI- I did about half your trip back in 2004, from Southport NC to the upper Chesapeake. Ran the ICW and Dismal swamp Canal. First day we left Southport @1PM and made Morehead City, second day to Norfolk (long day), third day to Deltaville (in CRAPPY conditions, where we left the boat for a week), fourth day to Crisfield, last day to Havre de Grace (with my pal tr_guy79). We averaged 1 MPG, or (as I recall) 18 GPH running 15 knots.
If you're the least bit nervous, consider hiring a captain for at least part of the trip. That's what I did, and he was a wealth of knowledge.

sasto

Captain

I've seen boats have to wait for several days before crossing the Albemarle Sound in North Carolina 'cause of weather. I'd give myself at least a couple weeks for the trip. I traveled by boat for several years and have waited out many storms and rough seas. You just never know.

Most snowbirds arrive here in FL by boat in October.

Good luck on your plans!

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you pick up the boat yet Skim61???!

For MPG, you can install some gauges to give you an idea and it will even estimate fuel.
http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Floscan+5500+Series.html

I was thinking about installing one for mine and then you can hook up a switch so you can go from one motor to another without needing another gauge!

skim61

Seaman Apprentice

I just wanted to update this thread--I have a captain friend in the FL Keys (True Island Adventures on FB) who is actually the reason I am considering this whole boat transfer, either in water or on land. He emailed yesterday that he will be making an in water trip from Newport, RI to Miami, on a 48 ft. Azimus relocating the boat for a client. I am hoping to meet up with them as they pass my area of the Chesapeake, but if not, at least I should have some good information about this ICW trip when he is done.

Kyle, I'm not sure that a $500 gauge is the way I want to go, but thanks for the info.