Cruise the Ohio River

snowfreak

Recruit
Re: Cruise the Ohio River

I'm planning a trip down the Ohio to Kentucky lake. One thing though I'm using a kayak. any suggestions or ideas. and does anybody know where i can get a cheap but good VHF radio

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I'm planning a trip down the Ohio to Kentucky lake. One thing though I'm using a kayak. any suggestions or ideas. and does anybody know where i can get a cheap but good VHF radio

The iboats store has good stuff with reasonable prices. ;)

greenwell001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the ohio is nice because its close, around owensboro it can be a drive killer when the water is up.....the green river is also nice, never choppy but little narrow

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

I boat the Ohio out of Louisville Ky. and I run mostly up to Madison and have run down river to Leavenworth.
This summer we plan on running up to Cincinatti for a weekend or two. I grew up in N/W Ohio near the great lakes and spent time with my uncle fishing from his boat and when I didn't have a boat I would fish the rivers up there.
Life is better near the water.

Jackvinsly

Recruit

My so many friend are stayed in Ohio or some are studying three i think this city is hot for the there is available in some big university ,i was just stayed in last year with my friend home for my vacation toor i saw there so many nice place really this is very nice state.but i like only in cruse this one was very huge ..

riversrme

Seaman Apprentice

my so many friend are stayed in ohio or some are studying three i think this city is hot for the there is available in some big university ,i was just stayed in last year with my friend home for my vacation toor i saw there so many nice place really this is very nice state.but i like only in cruse this one was very huge ..

wtf?

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i usually put in at Cox's Park or Greenwood Boat Ramp (out in riverport)
have never put in anywhere else on the river

Nasbinator

Seaman Apprentice

Boating on the Ohio for the first time this weekend. Putting in near Louisville. Cant wait!

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Do any of you guys ever watch the firsworks in Cincy? I have owned a family-passed-down boat for a couple of years now and I was thinking of venturing out in the Ohio for the fireworks this year.

Seen them from land but you couldn't pay me enough to be out on the water for the WEBN fireworks. My suggestion is to look for some 4th of July fireworks on the river to see prior to the Labor Day thing.

89glasstream

Recruit

Can't wait to get back on the river. Just waiting for it to go back down.

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just finished a run up the Ohio from Rayland, OH (7 miles north of Wheeling, WV)... had a great weekend on the Ohio. Stayed at the Beaver Valley Yacht Club on the appropriately named Beaver River.....both nights...slept on the boat. Really enjoyed the 'Born in the USA' flavor of the Ohio....if you're looking for the muscle of American....boat up to the Three Rivers in Pittsburgh....by the way Jerry Hays guide to The Ohio River was/is outstanding. Anyway, great weekend...don't hesitate.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Give a big waive to Buckheads for me, okay?!

Waving is all that you'll be able to do. The courtesy dock used to access Buckhead's and adjacent restaurants was destroyed in September 2008 by the freak winds of the remnants of Hurricane Ike. I haven't heard that they have been replaced.

Nasbinator

Seaman Apprentice

Just got back from are Ohio river trip and it was great. Put in at Cox park, and went to Cunningham's Creekside to eat. Will definately do it again.

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just finished a cruise from the Wheeling, WV area up the Ohio to Pittsburgh. What a great trip.....good experiences, especially with my two son-in-laws on board. Kinda a boys night out weekend. Spend time at the Beaver Valley Yacht Club and highly recommend it to everyone...very friendly and helpful bunch of folks. Four locks and thank goodness someone in our Power Squadron told me to take a 100 foot line....it was needed. Lots of debris in the river and in the locks....it was alittle like walking thru your backyard after 6 dogs had been playing....Jerry Hays' 'Ohio River Guidebook' was just right for a small boat...I had the Corp. of Engineers Charts also...but Jerry's had just the right amount of info...Enjoyed Downtown Pittsburgh...overall a great three day trip seeing three rivers and traveling 240 miles. It was all I had hoped it to be....Can't wait to explore more of the Ohio.

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

We put in at white oak creek in Ohio (about 50 miles east of cincy). Its nice because there is not a lot of traffic, which our small boat does not like. Its also nice because there are quite a few restaurants that we can pull the boat up to.

Caravelle207

Recruit

Wow, lots of great people cruising around the Ohio River. I am in southern Illinois and we usually go out of Golconda Marina and cruise down the Ohio, up the Cumberland and into Barkley and Kentucky Lakes and stay for a long weekend and cruise back on Sunday. Is anybody planning on any trips for something like this. Some of the people that we usually go with are going when we cannot this year. Thought about heading up the Ohio to Evansville but I don't know enough about the river to the north. I will say that the Cumberland is my favorite river to run so far. It is not to busy between Barkley and the Ohio and is usually pretty smooth.

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Put in the Ohio this past weekend, drove boat to work and meet the wife and another couple downtown. Cruised around for a little bit and then ate at the Montgumery Inn Boathouse. Its a fun time as always.

dirtdiver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I go home on long weekend passes I take my boat on the three rivers. Its nice because you can enjoy a baseball game or a concert from the river. There are a lot of boaters out on the weekends though and you have to be extra careful because a lot of people arent.