Crownline know it alls in here!

greenz

Seaman Apprentice
We're looking for our next boat, we had our last one for 17 years. I've found a 1992 Crownline 180BR here locally for a good price i believe, powered with the merc 4.3. We sold our last boat for parts b/c it had completely rotten, it was an 1985 model, and i remember it having soft spots in the floor when my parents bought it. Thats going to be our biggest concern. I know crownline is one of the higher end boats i believe, but i have no idea on construction/quality from the early 1990's. Anyone have insight? I'm probably going to look at it this afternoon. http://dayton.craigslist.org/boa/2485571643.html Thanks! BTW i'm not worried about the engine/outdrive, i know my way around mercruiser outdrives, and am familiar with the 4.3s enough to determine its condition.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: Crownline know it alls in here!

Crownlines suffer from the same stringers all manufacturers did at that time, simply put you do need to look for soft spots in the floor as I am sure you know, take it on a lake test and if possible go through some chop at speed and "feel" the hull, I don't really know how to explain it but you can feel a weak hull in choppy water, if you don't feel the hull flexing and it has no soft spots in the floor I think you have a great boat that has been cared for, the 4.3 is a great motor for fuel costs too and that can't be a bad thing right now can it! It won't be a speed demon but that may not be what your looking for anyway.

Good luck and let us know!

greenz

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks! 40+ MPH is fast enough, thats what our old 20' imperial would do with a 4cyl 190hp. Which that boat was completely rotten from stern to bow and was sold to someone who's going to part it out. :( The gentleman told me that he did replace a section of floor, and stored outside, and with the knowledge i've gained from this site, i've got alot to look for, and with any signs of problems, no deal! Thanks!

greenz

Seaman Apprentice

No it wasn't, and i pretty much knew what i was getting into once he said that. The boat ended up looking nothing like in the pictures (whoda thunk?) And basically no deal within a few minutes of arriving. I have found a 1998 185br with low hours, and looks really nice again, claims to be stored inside 90% of the time, waiting to hear from him. Shopping for a boat is very time consuming when one is as picky as i am. ;) We owned our imperial for over 17years, and are planning to keep the next one just as long if not longer, being picky will pay off.