Crownline 220EX i/o vs outboard?

NCLakeboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was initially looking at an outboard powered deck boat (Hurricane and Azure lines) for ease of operation, cost of operation and annual maintenance. I saw a 2008 Crownline 220 EX at a marina yesterday and really liked the look and the layout of that boat, but again I have some concerns on the sterndrive i/o cost. What are some of the annual maintenance costs I would be faced with going with a sterndrive versus going with an outboard? Will be boating on a lake near the SC/NC border.

Thanks

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Crownline 220EX i/o vs outboard?

hit search....lots of discussions on ob vs i/o

the obs are mechanicaly easer to maintain.....

expect another 500 to 1000 per year if you hire out the work of winterizing and misc......

45Auto

Commander

I went from an 18' outboard to a Crownline 225 I/O. Very high quality boats. I don't see any reason to ever go back to an outboard unless it's for something in the under 50HP fishing boat class.

Only additional expense I've seen so far is winterizing. Bellows will need to be changed every 5 years or so, figure $200 in parts if you do it yourself, $1000 to have a dealer do it. I more than tripled the horsepower, but fuel usage is about half what the 120HP 2 stroke outboard was.

See this thread on winterizing:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=178695

As OOPS says, if you can't do the winterizing yourself expect to pay $500-$1000 per year. Not much to it, mainly pulling the outdrive to check for leaks and lube everything up. Oil changes should be normal maintenance on whatever you have.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I personally lean toward outboards. IO's have much more to be worried about. The lower units are the same, but the IO also has the gimbles bellows, and an associated big honking hole in the transom. This stuff is absolutely, without a doubt going to require more maintenance than if they weren't there. Also, in my climate is the worry about frozen blocks cracking, etc. Lots of boats around here on craigs list and elsewhere with cracked blocks.

If something goes wrong with my outboard, I have the option of finding another outboard and slapping it on there. Doesn't even have to be the same brand, size, or model outboard. If I at least stick with the brand, I don't even have to change controls. Controls isn't a big deal though. If your IO motor goes south, you will most likely be looking for the same engine to go back in even if a great deal shows up for a different brand/make/size. Plus I can swap an outboard in an hour if I don't have to change controls. Not so with an IO.

With the outboard you never have to worry about the bellows splitting and allowing the back end of the boat to fill with water. Granted, this is not a big deal with regular replacement, but it can and does still happen.

Winterizing an outboard is dirt simple. Even if you do nothing but lower the motor so that it is vertical, you won't have to worry about freezing and busting the block/lower unit. It's a good idea to do more, but anyone can do it themselves with almost no mechanical inclination. I do this:

1. Lower motor
2. Stabil in fuel supply then shake the boat
3. Run motor with garden hose/ear muffs connected for a few minutes
4. spray fogging oil into intake (take air cleaner off)
5. Unhook fuel supply
6. Done

Been doing it like this for years and have never had a problem. Total time to do this is about 15 minutes if I take it slow. Total cost to do this is about $20.

Taking it out the first time in the spring I change the lower unit oil and go. That's it.

Are there drawbacks to the outboard?? Yes. Most outboards are 2-stroke and not fuel efficient, but the newer 2-strokes are pretty good, and the 4 stroke outboards are as good as anything out there. Outboard boats have the motor in the way in the back of the boat for some stuff, but the IO's have the motor in the way inside the boat with associated housing taking up room. This one is a personal thing. Which do you like less, the motor sticking up, or the motor housing in the boat??

A great deal of this is personal preference. Like I said, I prefer the outboards, but will likely have one of each come next year since I'll be getting my dad's IO for use on Lake Michigan. He's giving it to me. If I had to buy a boat for the big lake, I'd be looking for an outboard. Or, I may be converting his to an outboard if I can't get the IO to run after sitting for 10 years. We'll see.

My 2 cents

John B.