Crestliner 1860 SST Phantom

beckoning

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Please give me your opinions if you have used the 1860 SST on big water. I fish Lake Michigan for salmon and steelies. I want to replace an old, tired 18' Starcraft center console with a Crestliner. I am looking at an 1860 SST (extended transom). All looks OK, but I am concerned about the length. An extended transom 18' seems to be only a 16.5' boat with an extended transom that makes the total length 18'. I don't want a boat that bobs around on 3' waves like a cork. The Phantom model is deep at 25" gunwale inside height. I am interested in any opinions.

rndn

Commander
Re: Crestliner 1860 SST Phantom

I have a 2160 Phantom SST. I believe the 21 feet is the keel length, so the extended transom would be in addition to the 18 feet.
About the only complaint I have with my boat is it tends to be a wet ride in larger waves. I can only assume the 18 footer would be a tad bit worse.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Have you been happy with the handling of the 18' Starcraft, or are you looking for a more stable boat?

I'd imagine the Crestliner might handle waves about the same as your current boat. Is the Crestliner fiberglass? If not then it would be the same I'm sure.

If you want a smoother ride maybe look at one of the larger Starcrafts, 21'-22' would crest the waves more than bobbing in them.

beckoning

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I've decided against the 1860. I'll wait for 19+ with more equipment.