Crazy or stupid? Uncapping a boat in quarantine to get to the transom.

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, my buddies are trapped indoors while their wives forbid them leaving, really paranoid about COVID19
The one guy who's willing to venture out to help, just tore his Achilles tendon; out for 4 weeks.
I have teenage daughters who have <0 interest in the boat, or helping lift off a cap. I fashioned a gantry our of 1" steel tubing. .I used this to lift with come-alongs. The transom was covered in resin, but underneath is coming out in chunks and soggy flakes.

How do I dig this out? They don't make long enough putty spatulas. Would a garden hoe work? Or do I cut the inner skin and pry the whole mess out?

I'm rebuilding the transom with one 3/4" plywood sheet and making up the thickness difference with Sea Cast on either side.

I know someone has run into transom that comes out in flakes and I'm curious how they got it out.

Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• photo330066.jpg
    photo330066.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 1
  • photo330067.jpg
    photo330067.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1

alldodge

Staff member
Cut the inner skin away leave outer skin intact. It will need to be replaced when transom is rebuilt

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
alldodge,
When transom wood looks like this, it really needed to come out. How to get the wood from around the plug? Because the transom was glued to the hull. Does the drain plug unscrew and should this be replaced?

Attachments

• photo330195.jpg
    photo330195.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo330196.jpg
    photo330196.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone used Seacast with plywood? Or is it all or nothing? I have enough plywood to make the 1.5" transom thickness but there is a gap where the side panel/skin meets the transom and is filled with folded CSM still in good shape. I cut out the inner skin to get the transom out; I could not pull out the old transom in one piece as it came out as wet flakes. Right now there is no inner skin needed for Seacast. Could you use plywood coated with polyester/1708 on the inside to make your dam, and then put Seacast in the remaining area? According to the website Seacast will not bond to wood but will bond with poly or vinyl ester.

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All sealed plywood transom seems the general recommendation for transom rebuilds, I figure 2 experienced members haven't used Seacast then stick with ol reliable. :thumb:

My original transom was 1.25" thick measured between the fiberglass walls on the bottom of the transom. I have 3/4" plywood, make it 1.5" thick anyway, or keep the original transom thickness/design?

Thanks!

Last edited: