crankshaft wiggles??

DARKCLOWN

Seaman
i have a 40hp 1965 evinrude big twin and the crankshaft wiggles is this a major prob? or is it ok? :confused:

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: crankshaft wiggles??

I would think that the crank bearing may be worn, have you done any searching to see if anyone else has had a similar problem?

DHPMARINE

Captain

Should NOT wiggle.If it wiggles off at 4000 plus RPM,and hits the back of your head,it will get more than your attention.<br /><br />DHP

DARKCLOWN

Seaman

Originally posted by DHPMARINE:<br /> Should NOT wiggle.If it wiggles off at 4000 plus RPM,and hits the back of your head,it will get more than your attention.<br /><br />DHP
what can i do to fix this problem or should i just scrap the moter

DHPMARINE

Captain

You've got to determine what's wrong.If it is the flywheel,replace it.If the crank is moving ..... well in Ma.,we call it a parts motor.<br /><br />DHP

DARKCLOWN

Seaman

Originally posted by DHPMARINE:<br /> You've got to determine what's wrong.If it is the flywheel,replace it.If the crank is moving ..... well in Ma.,we call it a parts motor.<br /><br />DHP
well i took off the flwheel and the armture plate and it still wiggles and when i say wiggle im only talking about a little bit not like its hella lose i dont want to scrap it i would like to fix it

Paul Moir

Admiral

It shouldn't wiggle at all. Really. Up and down just a smidgen maybe, but left to right or for and aft movement should be 0. Not even .001". Just picture that heavy flywheel suddenly liberated at 4500RPM.<br /><br />I've seen an BT engine that had a long term lean sneeze on the top cylinder cause the bearing to be worn out. It was caused by a blown top crank seal. All the rollers fell right out of the bearing when it was removed. The crankshaft was fine.<br /><br />Spare engines blocks appear on ebay all the time. Tear it down and find what's wrong with it. You've got nothing to loose right now.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The upper bearing may need to be replaced. When they go, they get loose, as you describe and some even rattle. Unfortunately when the bearing goes, usually the rotational movement of the crank destroys the upper seal, then you get into other driveability/performance issues.