Crankshaft Balancer Pulley Wobble

jclarke2899

Seaman
In doing some maintenance I noticed my crankshaft pulley has a wobble in the rubber in the center of it. I was only going idle speed in driveway and noticed it. What would cause this, and what damage will it cause to continue to run it this way? I have no clue how long it's been running this way. My manual states a volvo tool # J 39046 but wasn't sure if this is something I can get from autozone/advance auto? Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Crankshaft Balancer Pulley Wobble

Replace it, impossible to say WHY it failed.
The tools are standard automotive tools, you need the puller, and the installer. DO NOT hammer it on.

jclarke2899

Seaman

At first I thought what I needed was the pulley when I looked at the parts diagram, but I guess it is a "damper assembly" that I actually need per volvo's parts list. Does anyone know if this is a universal type assembly, i.e. can I go to automotive place to get it, or is it specific to my setup where I must buy the volvo part? $362.50 sounds pretty steep!!!

Bondo

Staff member

Does anyone know if this is a universal type assembly, i.e. can I go to automotive place to get it,

Ayuh,... It's a standard Chevy part, the harmonic balancer...

jclarke2899

Seaman

Thanks Bond-o, you just saved me $300. I found this one on ebay for $46 + $8 shipping. Also found advance auto/autozone has them for $75 if I want to do it sooner. I need to measure mine first to make sure it's 6.75" as I saw a few that were 8" for a 5.0l 305. Hopefully I can rent the removal/installer tools from them too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Small-Block-Chevy-Harmonic-Balancer-305-350-6-75-/400213972184?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2e9c94d8