Crankcase swap?

Jayrock

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all. I will keep this brief. is it possible to move all the components from a 1996 200 Evinrude to a 1992 Crank case? It looks as if all the internal stuff is the same, and the Open deck of thew 1992 crankcase seems to cool better. I have noticed a couple of casting differences in the earlier crankcase, but nothing major. Thoughts? Thanks, Jason

daselbee

Commander
Re: Crankcase swap?

I assume you blew up a 1996 p'head, and want to use a 1992 head on the existing 1996 midsection and leg....so,

It will all bolt on, but there are a couple of differences you should get serious answers on.

1. There will be some performance hit (maybe) because the 1996 is a finger ported piston/cylinder design, and the 1992 is not. You should really figure that out before bolting 1996 carbs on the 1992 block. The carbs are jetted differently, and designed differently. It may not be an issue at all...

2. The 1996 crankshaft splined end (lower end) has a stainless steel sleeve pressed onto the end that holds a captive o-ring for sealing the top of the driveshaft when all is assembled. The 1992 crank and matching driveshaft splines are designed with the o-ring slipped over the driveshaft. The o-ring sealing is done differently. The question is...is the 1996 driveshaft compatable with mating into a 1992 crank end?

3. You should be sure to move the intake manifild also as the 1996 is diamond shaped, while the 1992 is round at the throttle mounting surface.

There are differences......the experts will probably come up with more.

Jayrock

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On the 1996, I had the dowel pin come out of the #2 piston, messed up the cylinder wall BAD. Also the #4 piston had an issue that also shredded the liner. Other than the shredded crankcase all else is good. I was planning on moving all the guts of the 1996 over to the 1992 crankcase, since I have one ready to go. Foregoing the cost of boring and sleeving the 1996 block, and getting the cooling system mod. ( close to a grand for parts and labor) I know there are differences, but I think that most are minor since part numbers on A LOT of parts span both of those years. I appreciate your response. I did not think about the carbs. The new pistons I ordered are not finger ported. I knew that the 1992 block was not ported. Thanks for any more insight you guys can give me, Jason

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You can use the lighter, finger ported pistons in either block but you should not mix heavy and light pistons. Just like you don't want to mix up the heavy and light rods. Since you're going to use the light (96) rods you probably don't want to use the 92 style (heavy) pistons.

As for the block porting differences you probably won't see any performance difference since your failure indicates the motor was being lugged (low top rpm). Use the 96 carbs and throttle bodies as an assembly with no jetting changes, no problem. You can use the 96 intakes - again no problem.

The driveshaft differences are no problem either but it sounds like you're going to put the 96 crank back on the 96 driveshaft so it's a non-issue.

There are a couple of other changes you'll run into but nothing you can't overcome.

Jayrock

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmmm... I had no Idea that there were light and heavy rods. It makes sense though... The engine failed due to the fuel line being swollen on the inside cutting off fuel to the one cylinder during high rpm running. This motor is mounted on a 21 ft Wellcraft Offshore boat. It was at sustained high speed for over 2 hours before slowing down at the harbor entrance. It was then that I noticed there was a Boo-Boo to my Beloved. After ripping all apart I discovered the 3 dollar failure of the fuel line that connects to the carb, causing it to lean out and die. It must have happened shortly before I slowed down, because the rod bearings and wrist pin bearings are flawless. Thank you very much. Now I have to send these pistons back and get the right ones. Thanks again, Jason

daselbee

Commander

The way your post read, I thought you were swapping 1996 external parts onto a 1992 assembled short block. If you are swapping internal parts into the bare block, all should work as Dhadley suggests.

I still don't think you can use a 1996 driveshaft in a 1992 crank, if that is actually what you will do.

Jayrock

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a little follow up on the build since people seldom follow a thread to the very end:

I had no serious issues at all moving the guts of a 1996 to the crankcase of a 1992. The only real difference is on the top port side of the crankcase looking forward. Where the water lines run into the crankcase from the thermostats. On the 1992 block its just a tapped hole ( I used a plastic fitting due to the corrosive action between aluminum and brass). On the 1996 its a diaphragm plastic piece that has a spot cast into the crankcase. Also on the 1992 where the electrical box mounts on the port side under the starter and aft, there is only 2 of the required 3 bolt holes to mount the box with all the connectors. I know, big frickin deal :) I can tell already that it runs cooler than my old motor ever did, probably due to the open deck head. No issues withe the crankshaft either. I have to say it really was a pleasure working on this outboard. Thanks guys:D

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the update. Many times we don't get to hear the outcome, nice to know it worked out!