Cracks in gelcoat

scottzfx

Cadet
Just bought this boat. Biggest problem I can see is the cracking in the finish (see pic below). It's only occurring on the bow. I seriously doubt this is the factory finish, but I could be wrong. What is this? What causes it? How can it be fixed?
boat03.JPG

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Cracks in gelcoat

Commonly called crazing and can be caused by many factors. The gelcoat has no fibers in it to bind and it cracks. Not an easy fix on such a big area.

Caused by impact, stress, old age and sunshine.......

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Its hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like it was painted blue after the gel coat had already cracked. Like B-TV said, not an easy fix when it covers that much area. You need to sand off all the cracked gel coat, then build it back up again and get the shape correct.

jonesg

Admiral

Just bought this boat. Biggest problem I can see is the cracking in the finish (see pic below). It's only occurring on the bow. I seriously doubt this is the factory finish, but I could be wrong. What is this? What causes it? How can it be fixed?
boat03.JPG

you can remove all the hardware and power sand it off, I'd start aggressive 50-80 grit. A decent sander will strip that off in less time than you've pondered the problem.