Covert from ethanol fuel to non-ethanol?

Racer57

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2007 3.0 Mercruiser. Since I bought it new I have been running standard 87 octane fuel which contains "up to 10%" ethanol. No issues up to now with this.

Should I convert to ethanol free fuel, and if so, is it OK to just run the tank down and refill with non-ethanol fuel?

Generally, only Premium ethanol fuel is available.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Covert from ethanol fuel to non-ethanol?

Ayuh,... The motor won't care, 'n the fuels are completely compatible,...

If you can get non-ethanol, go ahead, 'n use it,...
You'll end up with less water in the fuel with the non-ethanol fuel, but again, the motor don't care,...

If yer fuel system doesn't have a canister type fuel filter, addin' one is a darn Good idea, regardless which fuel ya use,...
It should be mounted, 'tween the tank, 'n fuel pump,...

gm280

Supreme Mariner

The trend now is to remove ethanol from all gasoline fuels. What sounded great on paper actually was a bad idea in reality. Ethanol was supposed to decrease our need for foreign oil by the amount of ethanol added to the gas. However, seeing how ethanol does not produce the same power output of refined gas didn't accomplish the desired results. In the beginning fuel lines and such were being eaten up with the addition of ethanol. So all the car manufacturers had to use different materials to combat that problem. We all know how well that worked with our yard equipment too well. So everybody's gas mileage suffered consequently and we actually used the same amount of gas because the ethanol yielded less MPG figures. And then there was the huge amounts of crops grown to fuel the ethanol production. So now the government has concluded that the ethanol was a failure and will start removing it from the gas now. When that actual happens is anybody's guess. You know how quickly the government works... Any type of alcohol is a magnet for water. So even the internals of any engine will see more wear then not using it. I do remember some car manufactures specifying that their warrantees would be void IF too much ethanol were to be used...

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Racer, if you search on these forums for "ethanol"' you'll find that this subject has been argued to death, with ardent ethanol-haters and equally vocal ethanol-accepters. The arguments often have political overtones ("I don't want the government telling me what to mix in my fuel!") that color any technical information that might come out.

My belief is that it doesn't matter, unless maybe you have a 1970s boat that never has seen ethanol-treated gas. For many of us, ethanol-treated gas is all we can get... if I had a choice, I'd buy whatever cost less.

Good luck!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

For the last few years I have run only non-ethanol 89 octane. My old 470 runs great on it. Also run non-ethanol in all of my small engines.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

It may depend on where you are. Only ethanol (10%) available in CA. I've learned to live with it (with help from stablizers :) ). However, if I had a choice I'd use non-ethanol - my motor is OK with it, just fewer complications.

Don't hold your breath waiting for an end to the ethanol mandate - farm lobby won't let it go easily.

Last edited:

cliffblue

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just my 2 cents. if you run your tank of fuel out within 30 days, regular gas is fine. If it could be in there longer, then non-ethanol is the way to go. The moisture it can absorb is hard on your fuel system. Here in Louisiana, the humidity is 60-80%. Since I went to non-ethanol fuel for all of my non vehicle engines, they have given me much less trouble. Check for smart phone apps to locate non-ethanol fuel stations. I can get 89 octane in a couple of places. Good luck! Cliff P.S.-ditto what Bondo said.

Last edited:

agallant80

Commander

I have used the pump 10% stuff for years. Never an issue even after laying her up for 5 months due to winter storage. I never use the fuel stabilizer stuff. With that said I have had newer mercruiser MPI motors.

thumpar

Admiral

I would have to drive an hour 1 way to get non-ethanol and they want over $5 a gallon for it there. The blend works fine for us even in our old boat. I do use the green Sta-Bil for storage though.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I have used the pump 10% stuff for years. Never an issue even after laying her up for 5 months due to winter storage. I never use the fuel stabilizer stuff. With that said I have had newer mercruiser MPI motors.

Yeah. same here....I have been using it since it's been available............I leave it (1/4 tank) in my boat from AUG to MAY......Then, just fill it up with fresh fuel and go boating.

No snake oils added either. It sits in an unheated garage the entire time. I don't know what the humidity is here in western Wa.....but I'll bet it is at least the same as the humid places in the SE since it never seems to stop raining ALL WINTER!!!!!!!

Ayuh,... The motor won't care, 'n the fuels are completely compatible,...

If you can get non-ethanol, go ahead, 'n use it,...
You'll end up with less water in the fuel with the non-ethanol fuel, but again, the motor don't care,...
I'm with Bondo. the motor won't care what you use.

If you MUST have non-ethanol fuel, go to Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada to find it.

After you find it, you'll need to test it to determine if it is REALLY NON-ethanol!! (because you cannot believe the stations to provide it!)

The test for ethanol below is from Ethanol Fuel Testing | Ethanol in Gas Understand the recommendation is for aviation use (ethanol fuels are prohibited in aircraft engines) But the test below will reveal the presence of ethanol.

I would just run it in a marine engine. If you can determine that the fuel contains MORE than 10%, DO NOT USE IT!

HOW TO TEST FUEL
FOR ETHANOL

To determine if ethanol is in the gas:

• On a test tube or olive bottle six or seven inches long, make a permanent line about two inches from the bottom.
  • Fill with water to this line, then fill the tube to the top with gasoline.
  • Cover the tube, agitate it, and let it stand.
The ethanol and water will mix and separate out together. If the water level appears to have increased, the fuel contains ethanol and should not be used. Ethanol percentages of less than 5% can sometimes give a reading below the line. Therefore, any deviation in the water line indicates the presence of ethanol and should serve as a basis for rejecting the fuel.