Coupler Blew Up Today - Why?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Coupler Blew Up Today - Why?

Hey everyone, I may be missing something here. Is there a way to grease the coupler other than greasing the drive shaft splines when it is installed. Because that's all I have ever done. Is there a grease fitting on the coupler itself?

Not on your model...... ;)

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

What would be the harm in taking the one minute to do it?....
I think it would give an idea of how far it was off....
But, either way the engine will need to come out......:rolleyes:

Well,

yeah...there'd be no harm of course....

I would much more interested in the measurement with the new coupler though....

Bluestream

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am going to disagree with some of you on the coupler. The boat I have now was bought from the PO with a blown coupler. He was told $700-$900US to change it. I bought a used one for $35, and changed it in 2 hours work. The boat had the gimbal bearing changed 2 years ago, and the guy who did that job did not tighten the front motor mounts, and over time the adjusting nut turned down to the point where the engine was so far out of alignment the it took out the coupler. Picture attached shows the coupler and it does not look at all like the Merc bulletin for out of alignment. In fact the drive shaft splines still had grease on them.

You will not get much information if you try to check the alignment of a stripped out coupler, as there is too much play with the tool inserted.

I have seen boats come in with the shaft seized to the coupler to the point that the drive cannot come off without cutting the shaft from inside. Zero lubrication in there, but the coupler is still functional.

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af258/Bluestrean/Boat/cobra010.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There are exceptions to every rule.