Counter rotating engines

wreckless

Seaman
When referring to counter rotating engines, are the engines themselves designed to run counter clockwise or it is handled in the gearbox. I ran across a pair of engines for sale and the seller said they were counter rotating engines but didn't know the difference. This question is not brand specific.

red boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Counter rotating engines

Counter rotating is handled in the gear box on all brands.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

There were some OMC engine that did indeed run backwards. Find out what motors he has. Parts for the old backwards OMC's are next to impossible to find. They can however be converted back.

wreckless

Seaman

I've always thought that the counter rotating was handled in the gear box. DHadley, that is strange to hear some older engines were in fact counter rotating. I'll bet parts are scarce for those engines. It's hard enough finding parts for some of the older standard rotating engines.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Back in the mid 80's Last Chance -- errrr... Second Effort made some c/r OMC V6's and V8's by running them bakwards. The powerheads are the same. Some electrical (like the starter obviously) is different. The water pump is different as is the gearcase. Actually some of the old Merc's went into reverse by the powerhead running backwards.<br /><br />What kind of motors does he have?