Could I have fried my tach?

Ksmith0110

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had a battery go bad on my boat (1973 Winner w/ 115 Evinrude) I killed it trying to start the motor. I accidentally hooked the pos (+) cable on the neg(-) battery post and as I touched the neg (-) cable to the pos (+) post I saw a spark. I pulled the cables off and switched them around and started the motor but the tach doesn't work anymore. Could there be a fuse or something? I didn't see any but I thought I'd ask the experts.

cr2k

Captain
Re: Could I have fried my tach?

You might look for fuses under your dash, but my guess is the tach probably ate it. Better an IO than an outboard. Such a mishap will instantly fry the ignition modules on them. So better a $40 tach then a $400 sw. box.

When replacing (if that is what you need to do) make sure you check the little rotary switch on the back and select the correct number of cylinders.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

You more than likely blew the diodes out of your rectifier for the charging that will make the tach not work. You need to find out if your charging or not. Betcha your not ......

JustJason

Vice Admiral

+1 to what blu lunch said. You blew out your regulator/rectifier. Which is where the tach gets it's signal from.

Ksmith0110

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It was the rectifier, I replaced it with one from RadioShack (about $3.50 instead of $60) worked good till today. I'll try it again.

Ksmith0110

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well all's well, I found the ground wire came loose on the tach, there wasn't anything wrong with the Radio Shack rectifier. I talked to a guy at a marina and he said he could not tell me to do this because the mfg. puts alot of time and money into R&D to spec out a certain part for the motor. I looked at a Force 125 motor and the rectifier looks the same as the one I put on. Seems to work fine.