Corrosion on outside of 1 plug?

Dawgs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1998 johnson 130 hp.....Ok why do I have corrosion n the outside (visible) part of the spark plug? Here are a couple symptoms that may or may not have anything to do eith it. Rough idle.......more frequent stalling when going into gear easily....damaged spark plug wire that was electrical taped and will be replaced.

I'm all ears

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: Corrosion on outside of 1 plug?

I would vote for the damaged sparkplug wire. Also, don't be going into to gear easily; that is rounding off your clutch dog ears and the forward gear lobes, which will be costly to replace.

Dawgs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It goes into gear easily but it stalls when going into gear at low rpm. Why would a damaged plug wire cause corrosion?

67-69johnman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

1998 johnson 130 hp.....Ok why do I have corrosion n the outside (visible) part of the spark plug? Here are a couple symptoms that may or may not have anything to do eith it. Rough idle.......more frequent stalling when going into gear easily....damaged spark plug wire that was electrical taped and will be replaced.

I'm all ears

Being that you have a damaged plug wire I would go for Running on only 5 cylinders.
You would be surprised at how well a motor will run on not all cylinders. The stalling under load spells it out. Pull the plug and check for spark before you replace the wire.
Post some pics of the corrosion
My big twins will get you home on just one cylinder.

Dawgs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The reason the wire is damagd is it got pinched in the engine cover latch. We noticed it when I couldn't get over 4000 rpm and the strong shock we got when we tried to unlatch it ....lol. So I'm pretty sure all 4 plugs are firing because it was very noticable whe one wasn't

67-69johnman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

if you are getting spark to your hand in it is not making it to the cylinder the shock should be on the plug not on the hood . dang that you did get shot it proves that your ignition is good replace the plug wire and see if that's the problem I wouldn't want to run with a s***** plug wire

Dawgs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok i think we found the corrosion issue. leaky thermostat...leaking right onto that plug. now i have to figure out the stalling problem