Core Plug Recommendation

tfitch03

Seaman
Hey everyone, I thought I would post something on core plugs and some good results I had recently. I have a 5.8 OMC and whoever rebuilt the motor before I bought it didn't build it to marine specs. Most noticeably the freeze (core) plugs. He used stainless steel instead of brass. Anyway, I had to replace them all because they were rusting through and leaking. I replaced them with Dorman expansion plugs and besides being extremely easy to install they seal very well. Lastly I am able to remove them during winterization to help drain all the water from the block and prevent cracking. I am sure there are several brands out there so get whichever ones will fit your motor best.

Just though I would throw my experience out there in case anyone was having freeze plug leaks or contemplating using this product. I would recommend it.

matt167

Captain
Re: Core Plug Recommendation

You will wear them out by removing them each year which will fail at the most inopportune time. They are a product designed to work in a pinch, not a full replacement solution. They actually disrupt the coolant passages quite a bit because of how large they are.. IMO, brass freeze plugs, little red spray tack. Find a socket that fits just inside the cup, and tap them in true. Cheaper and better. The drawback is always the install procedure, especially if it's tight, but 9 times out of 10 it can be done

Bondo

Staff member

You will wear them out by removing them each year which will fail at the most inopportune time. They are a product designed to work in a pinch, not a full replacement solution. They actually disrupt the coolant passages quite a bit because of how large they are.. IMO, brass freeze plugs, little red spray tack. Find a socket that fits just inside the cup, and tap them in true. Cheaper and better. The drawback is always the install procedure, especially if it's tight, but 9 times out of 10 it can be done

Ayuh,.... Agreed, 'cept I use perfect seal or form-a-gasket #2...

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Ayuh,.... Agreed, 'cept I use perfect seal or form-a-gasket #2...

Indian Head Shellac for this guy...

Agreed, engine should have the PROPER core plugs installed.
And, I don't know if you pulled the engine to do em, but don't forget there are two core plugs at the back of the engine behind the flywheel... ;)