Cooling water output J150EXECD

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
Just got this running after replacing head O rings and rebuilding transom.

Telltale output looks good, but shouldn’t there be spray also coming out of the vents on either side of the telltale (aka “pisser”)?J150EXECD

Attachments

• IMG_3675.MOV
    6.8 MB · Views: 2

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer
I had a 94 175 and I don't remember much if any spray coming out of those vents. It was mostly exhaust gases I believe.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Water does not exit those vents. The center hole is threaded to accept a garden hose for flushing. It is plugged with a solid plug, with a telltale hole drilled in it, when not flushing the motor. There is also a flush plug that accepts a quick connect garden hose fitting. This flush plug also has a hole drilled to allow for a telltale.

Water will come out the gratings above the antiventilation plate and thru the prop.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Measure spark on each. Sounds a little shallow, but not sure what follows from that -- can't tell much on muffs.

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
Measure spark on each. Sounds a little shallow, but not sure what follows from that -- can't tell much on muffs.
Will do. I ran a compression check, just Out of an abundance of caution. It came back 105 to 120 psi on all six cylinders, cold. I will test spark next.

can a blocked carburetor damage this engine? It looks like each carburetor feeds one cylinder individually, and that cylinder only. I’m more familiar with the old Force outboards where all the carburetors feed into a shared intake manifold.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Each carburetor feeds one cylinder.-----Much the same as most outboard motors !-----A blocked carburetor means LESS oil going into 1 cylinder and that is not good.