Cooling system question

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does the thermostat housing on the 4.3 Mercruiser have a "T" fitting that loops off to the risers? Mine seems to be blocked off, which I "think" means that no water can get to the risers until the thermostat opens up? Is this correct? Thanks!

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Does the thermostat housing on the 4.3 Mercruiser have a "T" fitting that loops off to the risers?
Depends on serial number/vintage and if your setup is oem/factory or has been altered

If you post a s/n and some pics that'll help greatly to providing information

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
Depends on serial number/vintage and if your setup is oem/factory or has been altered
If you post a s/n and some pics that'll help greatly to providing information
Well, it's at the mechanic's at the moment, so I can't provide that info. And he's a bit puzzled by the setup, as he's never seen this before. I just bought the remanufactured engine from Michigan Motorz last year, so I don't know how things were originally set up.

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
Was the motor you purchased a bobtail (complete/fully dressed) or a just a long block?
It was a long block. Had another mechanic put it together and install, so this current one isn't familiar with how it came from MM.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Guessing you didn't take it to a marine mechanic

dubs283

Vice Admiral
It was a long block. Had another mechanic put it together and install, so this current one isn't familiar with how it came from MM.
Hopefully the mechanic that performed the long block r and r saved the serial number tag(s). In your case it's the best piece of info for folks here to determine what the factory setup was/is.

Pictures are the next best thing for ID/best route for troubleshooting issues.

Speaking of which, what is your issue?

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hopefully the mechanic that performed the long block r and r saved the serial number tag(s). In your case it's the best piece of info for folks here to determine what the factory setup was/is.

Pictures are the next best thing for ID/best route for troubleshooting issues.

Speaking of which, what is your issue?
The issue is that the mechanic currently working on my boat is a bit puzzled by the setup. And basically, I was asking if some of these 4.3 Mercs had the T fitting (that normally would go to the risers?) blocked off, such that water only circulated to the risers once the thermostat opened? If so, I can tell him it's "normal"...

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Ugh. Apparently they are not marine mechanics. All you have to do is take a few good pictures if in doubt, assemble as it was. Can't tell ya how many I've done without issue.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
The issue is that the mechanic currently working on my boat is a bit puzzled by the setup.
If that's your only issue your best option is to find a new mechanic. Any decent mechanic ought to have access to the proper oem specs regarding what they are working on

The only questions your mechanic should be asking you are ones related to a complaint/concern regarding an issue you have. Pretty big red flag when a mechanic starts asking their customer for troubleshooting advice

Mercruiser used many different cooling setups over the years and the only way anyone on this forum can guide you is with a s/n, pictures and written information from you

Scott Danforth

Staff member
The cooling system configuration is dependent on the type of exhaust setup. Merc has used many different systems on the 7 different generations of 4.3's

tpenfield

Staff member
Got any pictures of the engine installed that you can post?

Keep in mind that the only water new (cool) water gets into the engine is for the existing (warm/hot) water to exit through the risers.

the thermostat opening decides how much water recirculates through the engine vs. how much exits the engine (through the risers). The thermostat housings are design to always direct some of the water to the risers.

If you have run the engine on the muffs and see water coming out the exhaust ports within a few seconds of starting the engine, then water is getting to the risers.

A marine mechanic should be quite familiar with the cooling flow . . .

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the thermostat opening decides how much water recirculates through the engine vs. how much exits the engine (through the risers). The thermostat housings are design to always direct some of the water to the risers.
The thermostat on raw water motors is used in a mixing valve configuration

Constant flow to exhaust while opening and closing to maintain block temp