Cooling problems

racerone

Supreme Mariner
These motors do not have a traditional --HEAD GASKET---Sealed with an O-ring.

Chuck4741444

Seaman Apprentice
Might run a hair over... overheat in certain conditions until you take it out make the poppets open but if you have no flow you have no flow.

Could be a bad gasket?

Did you replace the entire pump assembly or just the

These motors do not have a traditional --HEAD GASKET---Sealed with an O-ring.
I put the thermostats in water on the stove, they both opened about 145.
I just replaced the cup and impeller. I did notice the cap didn't seem flat, I was having problems with the new house and rubber gasket staying in place. so, I used the old one.
I'm ordering a new pump and will uses all of it.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The poppet/t-stat housing has to seat firmly against seal in head, leakage will cause the leaking side to run hot. It is normal to see the starboard side to run 10-15° hotter than port.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did you have this difference long before the winter rebuild ? Ever find parts of the water impellor missing ? Find and remove the pieces ?

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good call Faztbullet. On different temperatures on a V type engine. My Mercruiser 5.0L had unbalanced sides as normal also. My mechanic removed the Balancing Valve and it runs much closer on both sides now.

Chuck4741444

Seaman Apprentice
Good call Faztbullet. On different temperatures on a V type engine. My Mercruiser 5.0L had unbalanced sides as normal also. My mechanic removed the Balancing Valve and it runs much closer on both sides now.
Ok., i have my new water punp. Looking at the service manul, it shows the order to installing the pump
Reading the pump installment instruction are different. Here are 2 pic.
Pump supplier call for number 10 and 11
Manual call number 10 only.

Attachments

• 20240418_194021.jpg
    20240418_194021.jpg
    1,019.5 KB · Views: 4

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The written instructions are likely clearer than a diagram in the service manual. There are several adhesives and lubricants specified. Use what is spec'd or actual substitutes, i.e. use Permatex aviation on the pump base gasket, and 3 or 4 drops silicone on the oring in the pump cap.

Also use a decent marine grease where 2-4-c is specified.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I personally replace the impeller, and inspect and replace any part that doesn't look good.

Why do I do that? It's almost 30 years old and some people don't want you even using them.

Excellent outboard and will give you years of no trouble if you study how to maintain it and then apply your own rules.