Converting From Above Gas Tank to Below

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer
I know alot of people have probably research this topic!
But i tried researching but have not found much.
I am trying to decide in order to make more room in the back. I would like to convert to below deck gas tank. I would buy a new poly. tank and get it fit between the stringers. I would add a set of stringers as well. I would like to put ina ski locker as well.

I dont see how my boat didnt lean to the left where the gas tank is now... I mean if the gas tank is full how does the right side compensate with only one battery??

Please give me advice on what i should do in this situation. Thank you.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Converting From Above Gas Tank to Below

BOATCONVERSION.jpg

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi 74, I tried to respond earlier today, but got kicked out just before sending. Anyway, I think you're making a good move to install the belly tank to give you more room in the stern. If I had not recently purchased a replacement above floor tank prior to doing my restore, I would likely have installed a belly tank too. However, I haven't experienced much list from the imbalance of my portside tank. Of course, the captain sitting on the starboard side often weighs more than the admiral sitting on the port side.

To make things more extreme, I relocated both of my batteries to the centreline recessed into the bilge in front of the engine. I suggest that you keep your batteries together wherever you put them, to make wiring simpler and to maximize on your storage space. If you put one on each side of the engine, you may find you've made both locations unsuitable for further storage. Batteries and loose gear don't play well together, even if the batteries are in boxes.

I wouldn't hesitate to group the batteries on one side. A reasonably large boat won't list much when on plane or when at rest. Propeller torque will also cause some list. Most passengers weigh more than the batteries and they often move around, both when moored and underway. I say make the boat's interior suitable for how you use the boat and forget the balance issue. - Grandad

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Grandad! I am most likely going to go with the under deck option. That way it gives me more storage. For the batteries on both side of the engine, i was going to put some sort of latch or door that would go over the battery and sit on dowels.
Here is a rough drawing.
batteryoneachside.jpg