Converting a Simplex control

jusfloatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good day to all

I have been seaching for a vintaged engine control to run twin motors with zero luck.

This has brought me to the point where I am considering just stacking a set side by side but without trying I know I would have to bend the handels to allow them to operate properly. Or I would have to space them and that would look hookie.

Before I rush out and find a second one does anyone know if I could make one unit run just the shifters and the other just run the fuel?

This is the unit I have.

Attachments

• Simplex control 001.JPG
    Simplex control 001.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Converting a Simplex control

Nope, can't do that. One lever pushes the throttle cable and the other pulls the shift cable (when you move the levers forward). So your plan would result in one throttle and one shift working backwards.

Moreover if you should consider merely stacking two controls as is, your handles would be throttle-shift, throttle-shift (not throttle side by side and shifts side by side)

jusfloatin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nope, can't do that. One lever pushes the throttle cable and the other pulls the shift cable (when you move the levers forward). So your plan would result in one throttle and one shift working backwards.

Moreover if you should consider merely stacking two controls as is, your handles would be throttle-shift, throttle-shift (not throttle side by side and shifts side by side)

I feel stupid not to realize it is just that simply,

"So close but yet so far far away"

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Click the thumbnails for something simple.

That's part number 0173287. Marineengine.com says they have two in stock.

Attachments

• 0320107 002.jpg
    0320107 002.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 0320107 003.jpg
    0320107 003.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 0

jusfloatin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Click the thumbnails for something simple.

That would be exsactly what I would want but it would look a wee bit out of place on my 1959 Thunderhawk.

captk

Petty Officer 1st Class

A 4 lever control was offered back in the late fifties that matched your simplex Part #277876. I remember seeing some boats with twin 35s back then, keep trying ebay or really old dealers. good luck Bill

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That would be exsactly what I would want but it would look a wee bit out of place on my 1959 Thunderhawk.

Just a "wee" bit. Actually, the rectangular control came out in 1961. Only a couple of years off