convert to single axel?

redfury

Commander
I'm wondering if it would be worth the trouble to convert my trailer to single axle. The tandems that are on it now have good tires, but the bushings are going to need to be replaced at some point or another, and frankly....it's a pain to move this boat around unless I use my truck...not exactly easy to tuck away if I wanted to.

I do like the stability of the trailer as it runs down the road, and the added benefit of having 4 tires to blow instead of 2 could work to my benefit to some degree I suppose....But again, it's a pain to maneuver by myself.

I'd rather have a different trailer altogether, but that's for a different thread.

Anyone see pros or cons to this that I'm not considering? Anyone done it?

bhammer

Ensign
Re: convert to single axel?

What size is your boat and what is the load capacity of each axle and the tire/wheel? I don't know many manufacturers that over build their trailer and you may need the second axle to support the boat safely.

IMHO, if I had a single axle, I would be looking to upgrade to a tandom. I know you can buy a wheel dolly that sits right under the tong wheel to allow you to move it around and a power winch may make it easier.

mudweiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I see your from Minnesota. I'm in Central Minnesota as well. I have a single axle under my boat. It fits a 21ft and the boat is 2,500 lbs. Bunk trailer in pretty good condition. I'd be interested in a swap if your trailer is something i can use. I can't move my boat unless it's hooked on the truck anyways. Edit: no email adddresses. use PM system.

redfury

Commander

My boat is 17ft long. The problem is that the trailer needs some welding done where the tandems sit, I just didn't have the capacity to repair it when I had it apart at the time. The boat weighs 1000lbs dry minus motor and fuel, and it has 12in tires on it. It's not a full sized tandem though if you look at my pictures, it makes the boat look huge! :D

rndn

Commander

Most certainly a 1000 dry weight boat could be used very safely with a single axle trailer. I don't blame you for wanting to change. You should be able to find a good used one off of Craigslist or Ebay that would fit your needs. Call around to the boat dealers in your area to see what the prices are for a used one from them.

redfury

Commander

I was thinking that. I could probably get a pretty decent price off this trailer as is, considering I traded up by doing the same thing with a smaller trailer for this one. I don't know. For now the boat just sits on it anyway, so I've got time to decide. Perhaps the first trip to the lake when I get it finished will determine whether or not I like the trailer at all...

mudweiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think i would have much clearance with the outdrive on 12" wheels.

Thats a nice project you have going with that boat. Way more work then i would ever want. I might be interested in any left over fiberglass that you might have left. Let me know what you have available and what you need for it.