schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: convert prop

pretty general question....
in some conditions yes.....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If the prop is a 1 piece type, and the hub diameter is the same between the prop and the gearcase, it can be done. You need to drill out some of the splines and use some creative spacers to secure the prop nut. I used a Mercury V6 Prop on my '98 Johnny 150HPV6 for years. I needed to grind a Merc thrust washer to fit properly, and used the Johnny spacer, and Merc tab washer fitting, tab washer and prop nut.

Of course, if the prop has the modular hub, just change hubs, provided the hub sizes are the same.

phillnjack2

Ensign

very dangerous to mess with props.
if it don't fit take to a prop shop if the prop is an expensive stainless one, or sell it and buy the right prop if alloy.

messing around drilling bout and changing washers is not for those who don't know what they are doing, and also for a lot of those
who think they know what they are doing its still very dangerous.
the shaft needs to be a perfect fit, not a nearly right or should be good enough etc.

what is the prop you have ?
if its a real good one you can have it re-hubbed.
but would have to make sure first that the hub is long enough or short enough, and if gearbox hub is right size.

phill

jestor68

Commander

It's only practical using the proper Mercury hub kit designed to fit your motor, and a Mercury prop that uses the replaceable hub system.

The Mercury web site has a list of all their different hub kits to mount their(Mercury) props on just about anything.

Take the Mercury prop(that uses the replaceable hub), insert the appropriate hub kit, and slap it on there.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

is there an adapter to mount a merc prop on a johnson?

you can convert a Merc prop to a Johnson and back with ease.

Step 1. Photograph the Merc prop
Step 2. List for sale on Craigslist or Ebay
Step 3. Sell the Merc Prop for CASH
(Merc prop now converted to Cash)
Step 4. look for a Johnson prop on Craigslist or Ebay
Step 5. Buy Johnson prop for the Cash you got from the Merc Prop
(Cash now converted to Johnson prop)

Bondo

Staff member

Originally Posted by chuckwagonsam View Post
is there an adapter to mount a merc prop on a johnson?

you can convert a Merc prop to a Johnson and back with ease.

Step 1. Photograph the Merc prop
Step 2. List for sale on Craigslist or Ebay
Step 3. Sell the Merc Prop for CASH
(Merc prop now converted to Cash)
Step 4. look for a Johnson prop on Craigslist or Ebay
Step 5. Buy Johnson prop for the Cash you got from the Merc Prop
(Cash now converted to Johnson prop)

Ayuh,.... :D :laugh: :happy: ;)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Really depends upon the prop and engine size: Some Johnson and Mercury engines use the same size prop shaft and the same number of splines, so props will almost fit perfectly.

HOWEVER: Without more information and perhaps a couple of photos, it is not possible to give an accurate answer.

Oh, yeah! beware the "Doomsday Naysayers"

Last edited:

GCarlover

Cadet

What size LU? On 13 spline Johnsons vs 15 spline small hub Mercs just change the hub. My neighbor and I have both done it. He bought a OMC 23 ss with a Mercury hub in it. I had a Merc bronze I use on my Johnson. Cut the hub out of a destroyed prop and had it pressed in. Sometimes you can find new hubs on Ebay. Prop shops get $60 or more w/ labor. The Merc has to be cut at the flange. Difference .050 (.025 wall thickness). I think a Lightspeed has interchangeable hubs.