Convert Prestolite to Motorola???

crosscut

Recruit
Hello, I've done much digging and not finding a lot regarding this topic. I have two 85 hp Chryslers. One is a 79 and the other is an 83 or 84. The 84 has great compression but no spark, the 79 has a bad center cylinder but great spark. I thought I could just put the motorola ignition system on the 83, but when I tried to mount the motorola stator, it hit the top crank bearing and remains about 1/8 above the crankcase. I looked at the presto stator housing and it has a shallower area that goes into the crankcase than the motorola housing does. I'm trying to convert mainly because the wiring on the 83 was hacked to heck, many wires were cut very close to the cd boxes. Any suggestions on which direction to go?

Thanks in Advance,

Joe

crosscut

Recruit
Re: Convert Prestolite to Motorola???

I found what I needed to know in another related thread.....go figure. I read a post by Frank that talks about using either the special carrier for the stator, or machining or using a spacer. I'm going to go the spacer route, I think it will be easiest,

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Convert Prestolite to Motorola???

NO, You can not use the spacer when going from Prestolite to Motorola. That is for going the other way!

You NEED to machine down the internal land on the alternator stator carrier OR find the retro-fit piece used from Magna-Power II to Motorola ignition. That piece is rare and QUITE Pricey:80 bucks. I have one (if I can ever find it in my garage). But really, take the Motorola ignition carrier to a machine shop with the Prestolite block. Let them measure the depth on the Prestolite block and machine the carrier. It is a simple Lathe job and should not cost more than 25 bucks.