Convert pontoon trailer to "V" hull

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am in the market for a trailer for my 26' Imperial Cabin Cruiser. While shopping, I was offered a free older pontoon trailer, (Sorry I do not know the make or year of the trailer, it has been painted over years ago.) It is the correct size, however I would need to have the dual pontoon bunks removed, and V-bottom bunks installed and set up. The removal of the old setup and the installation of the new bunks are not an issue. My question is the frame of the trailer. My boat is 5800 pounds dry, and the pontoon trailer has dual 3500 axles, so the the weight of the axles is in range, but I would be concerned about the strength of the frame. It just seems to be made a little lighter than the custom trailer I was looking at which was built for my style of boat.
Any thoughts?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Convert pontoon trailer to "V" hull

Do you have a pic of the trailer? I don't know off hand if a pontoon trailer would be heavy duty enough for a large V-hull.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

that trailer isn't heavy enough

If your boat is 5800 dry then with gear, batteries, fuel, and the weight of the trailer you will be over 7,000 lbs ALSO are you SURE they aren't 2,000 lb axles?

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Pontoon boats typically weigh 2000 pounds if a twin toon plus 500 lbs. for the motor--2500 lbs. A tritoon weighs another 300 lbs.

Chances are that the trailer is just too light for your needs.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, that is what I was thinking. Even though the axles were replaced with the heavier 3500 pound axles from Tractor Supply, the frame just seemed lighter to me, and I was wondering if it was just my imagination.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

It really depends on the trailer, the bear trailers are made to haul boats or toons with clamp on bunks and or rollers, but a dedicated use toon trailer isn't.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Ur gonna need tandem 5200 lb axles or Tripple 3500 lb axles anyhow.