Console in 12 foot aluminum boat ?? Anyone have one?

Kymasabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a '72 DuraNautic 12 foot aluminum boat with a 15HP Evinrude on it. I use it for banging around in the mangroves and flats but recently have really been hating my tiller. I was thinking about building some kind of small aluminum side console and mounting it to the center seat. My local marina says they can still get tilt tube and throttle/shift adaptors for my motor. Add a control and helm, plus all the cables, and I'm ready to go. Problem is, I was quoted almost $1000 for the project. That exceeds what I paid for the boat and motor.
So, was wondering if anyone has ever built something like this, or has something like this. Would love some pics and ideas.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Console in 12 foot aluminum boat ?? Anyone have one?

Move your pilot's seat forward to the middle bench, remote throttle/shift controls on one side, stick steering on the other...cajun's dream rig and very practical.

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 15' alum with a side console that I am nearly finished rebuilding. Here are some of the early pics of the console. It's very basic. Made out of stiff alum. Bolted to the right side gunwhale and to the deck. You can do most of the console and cable work work for a lot less than $1000.00. Soon as I figure out whats wrong with my digital camera, I'll send you some finished pics. :)

Attachments

• 88 Gregor Rebuild 068.jpg
    88 Gregor Rebuild 068.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0007.JPG
    DSCN0007.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0010.JPG
    DSCN0010.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 0

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 15' alum with a side console that I am nearly finished rebuilding. Here are some of the early pics of the console. It's very basic. Made out of stiff alum. Bolted to the right side gunwhale and to the deck. You can do most of the console and cable work work for a lot less than $1000.00. Soon as I figure out whats wrong with my digital camera, I'll send you some finished pics. :)

Heres a pic of the finished project showing the side console.

Attachments

• DSCN0108_076.JPG
    DSCN0108_076.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Move your pilot's seat forward to the middle bench, remote throttle/shift controls on one side, stick steering on the other...cajun's dream rig and very practical.

Exactly.

Tashasdaddy has that set up in a aluminum boat that he did and there might be a photo around here. Her had a 15 HP with stick steering and controls.

Yes $1000 is about right if you hand off the boat and let people do ALL the work for you....... you will save a tremendous amount doing it yourself.

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you put a price on the headache of a tiller, it might be $1000 bucks to you. Rotator cuff surgery for me so I would do it.

I put a console in my 14' alumacraft. Built console itself using 3/4" plywood, coated in epoxy and then carpeted. I built my own controls for my 1997 Evinrude 15hp. I machined parts for throttle/shift controls out of aluminum, and I made molds for the plastic throttle and shift levers and control box case. It looks and performs as if it was manufacturer-built. Cost me about 70 bucks. I doubt you have cnc machining capabilities but I figured I could at least tell you it can be done. Im sure you can rig something up for really cheap. Don't see why the throttle lever from a lawn mower wouldn't work.

Expidia

Commander

I put a console in my 14' alumacraft. Built console itself using 3/4" plywood, coated in epoxy and then carpeted. I built my own controls for my 1997 Evinrude 15hp. I machined parts for throttle/shift controls out of aluminum, and I made molds for the plastic throttle and shift levers and control box case. It looks and performs as if it was manufacturer-built. Cost me about 70 bucks. I doubt you have cnc machining capabilities but I figured I could at least tell you it can be done. Im sure you can rig something up for really cheap. Don't see why the throttle lever from a lawn mower wouldn't work.

Look at the date of the last post :eek: