Considering Craiglist purchase of '75 25hp Evinrude longshaft

oldybutagoody

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking for advice from those more experienced than myself. I'm in the market for an older 25hp outboard (and by older, I mean cheap) All my experience is with much older 50's models that have points ignition. Does the '75 25hp have a good reputation? Any red flags with that year?

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Considering Craiglist purchase of '75 25hp Evinrude longshaft

It's my least favorite johnson 25hp. It has a goofy, annoying ignition system with both an underflywheel coil and exterior coils. ALso, it has a stinky shallow drive system. If shallow drive is unimportant, and you don't mind redoing the ignition system, it's probably an o.k. motor.

Driver coil = $31.77
Ignition coil = $30.47 X 2
Total = about $90
I can get 2 coils for the older style ignition for about $12 apiece for a total of about $25. If one goes out, the other will get me home, since each cylinder's coil, condenser, and points work independently of the other. If the driver coil goes out on the '75 model ignition, you'll be paddling. I converted my '75 model back to the older style ignition because it's cheaper and I trust it more. I'm sure the '75 ignition is o.k., but I don't think it's as reliable as the older style.
JMO,
JBJ

oldybutagoody

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks JBJ. That's just the advice I was looking for. I have zero experience with electronic ignitions so maybe I'll hold out for an older 25hp Johnson or Evinrude. I'm not in any rush since I haven't even started building the boat it will go on.
It's my least favorite johnson 25hp. It has a goofy, annoying ignition system with both an underflywheel coil and exterior coils. ALso, it has a stinky shallow drive system. If shallow drive is unimportant, and you don't mind redoing the ignition system, it's probably an o.k. motor.
JMO,
JBJ

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's my least favorite johnson 25hp. It has a goofy, annoying ignition system with both an underflywheel coil and exterior coils.

Actually, that ignition system is more reliable than the older HT/LT coil under the flywheel.
The HT cable is shorter and not moving, the HT coil is not confined into a small space. The LT coil is a lot simpler and has none of the ilks of the combined coil.
In my opinion it is a step up compared to the old one.

Peter

hidef

Lieutenant

I ran one of those old 25s for years. It was purchased new and was still running well when I sold it last year. Never touched the ignition system the only work preformed on it was water pump impeller changes, rebuilt the carb a couple of times, rebuilt the fuel pump and changed out the fuel hoses. The engine never let me down

oldybutagoody

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you Peter and hidef, I'll keep your info in mind as I continue my search for a low cost reliable 25hp. I just heard back from the seller of the one I was contemplating but his price way more than I am willing to spend ($500 and it looked WELL used). I'll keep looking. I have lots of time till I'll actually need it so I can wait till the right deal comes along.
Actually, that ignition system is more reliable than the older HT/LT coil under the flywheel.
The HT cable is shorter and not moving, the HT coil is not confined into a small space. The LT coil is a lot simpler and has none of the ilks of the combined coil.
In my opinion it is a step up compared to the old one.

Peter

I ran one of those old 25s for years. It was purchased new and was still running well when I sold it last year. Never touched the ignition system the only work preformed on it was water pump impeller changes, rebuilt the carb a couple of times, rebuilt the fuel pump and changed out the fuel hoses. The engine never let me down

lindy46

Captain

I picked up a 1975 Evinrude 25hp at a yard sale for $35. It was sitting outside and when I removed the cover, it was full of mouse nest. I cleaned it up, all the wires were ok, so I fired her up and she ran fine in a test tank. All I did to it was put in a new impeller, shift rod O-ring, and filled the lower with oil. put it on a 16' aluminum boat, and she ran like a scalded dog!

oldybutagoody

Petty Officer 1st Class

$35?! Would that I were so lucky. Have to do more garage sales I guess. THis guy wants $500. Thanks but no...

I picked up a 1975 Evinrude 25hp at a yard sale for $35. It was sitting outside and when I removed the cover, it was full of mouse nest. I cleaned it up, all the wires were ok, so I fired her up and she ran fine in a test tank. All I did to it was put in a new impeller, shift rod O-ring, and filled the lower with oil. put it on a 16' aluminum boat, and she ran like a scalded dog!