Considering a Seaswirl

Smuggler's Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know this is an old thread however I figured it was the same question so I thought I would post it here. I found this on craigslist and was wondering if you guys thought it would be worth looking at. I have provided the link as I still need to figure out how to post pics. Thanks.

I'm selling my 17' Seaswirl bowrider. 4 new seat cushions last year. It has 2 swivel seats and a bench seat in the back. It fits 7-8 people. The swim platform makes for easy access. The 115 Johnson runs strong. The trailer is also solid. Comes w/ Bimini, anchor w/ 100' of line, life jackets, Jensen am/fm/cd and 2 speakers.

1993 Seaswirl 175SE LX - $2700

http://www.searchtempest.com/result...=8&hasPic=1&subcat=boa&minAsk=min&maxAsk=5000

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: How much should I pay for this SeaSwirl?

54 hours on a 10 year old boat, I'd make sure it gets a complete checkup before you buy it. That few hours on a motor that old are not always a good thing. Gaskets and seals dry up from sitting and cylinders corrode.

UGG - just noticed that this thread is from 2008 and back from the dead

Smuggler's Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Oldjeep,

ya I know the its an old thread, just didnt think I should start a whole new thread for basically the same question.

NYBo

Admiral

Thanks Oldjeep,

ya I know the its an old thread, just didnt think I should start a whole new thread for basically the same question.
Doesn't matter, a new thread would have been the way to go.

That being said, if the boat is solid, I would seriously consider it at around that price. Oldjeep is also correct, though. That's a lot of sitting for the boat to have that few hours in 18 years. I would also forget about putting 7-8 people in it unless they are Oompah-Loompahs.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Now it's a new thread. Post the CL link not the SearchTempest search results link.

Smuggler's Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok thanks guys I will keep in mind new thread. NyBo I dont see how you could fit 7 or 8 in that thing. It would probably be me my GF and a couple of teenage nieces. Thanks for the responses.

Smuggler's Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi guys, I sent the seller an email and here is the response I got.

the 1993 Seaswirl is still for sale. There is no hour meter on the engine but I had it running yesterday. It's a 2 stroke 1993 115 Johnson outboard. I've only owned the boat for two years. We are upgrading. I had it stored outside w/ a tarp. Motor was flushed and winterized. There are no maintenance records.

Should the motor have an hour meter on it? Also the lack of maintenance records does concern me. Am I just being too picky? I mean I dont expect a top of the line boat for under $3000.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

No hour meter and I wouldn't worry about maintenance records. 2 strokes don't really need much official maintenance anyway. That's a great motor which is worth half the asking price by itself.

mgb

Cadet

Hi guys, I sent the seller an email and here is the response I got.

the 1993 Seaswirl is still for sale. There is no hour meter on the engine but I had it running yesterday. It's a 2 stroke 1993 115 Johnson outboard. I've only owned the boat for two years. We are upgrading. I had it stored outside w/ a tarp. Motor was flushed and winterized. There are no maintenance records.

Should the motor have an hour meter on it? Also the lack of maintenance records does concern me. Am I just being too picky? I mean I dont expect a top of the line boat for under $3000.

I have the 99 model of that boat with the 90hp Johnson. Fairly minor changes from 93 to 99...the bones are pretty similar. Simple, quick and agile boat. Little to no maintainance to speak of on the motor (as with most 2-strokes). I have the fiberglass sole, which I love and is easy to maintain. If it has the rear bench set up, there is actually quite a bit of room for such a short boat. We regularly have 6 people aboard. If all are adults it can be a bit cramped, especially if everyone brings a bunch of gear. But if people pack wisely and/or some of the passengers are kids, 6 is no problem. 7 or 8 is too many, especially from a weight perspective (boat is rated for a max of 7 but that is really not a comfortable number). With a full boat and the 90hp, I see a noticible performance impact. nWith the 115 that boat will get up and go.

I bought mine used and it has no hour meter either. Motor has been rock-solid. Depending upon the condition of the boat and any known issues, under 3K for that boat should be a solid buy. Good luck!

Smuggler's Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Considering a Seaswirl

Thanks guys,

I was talking to my fiancee last night about it. She is concerned that there would be a lot of spray from the water. She is the type that would like to just go out an float about and read either a book or her nook. While a pontoon would be perfect for this sort of thing I am thinking that we should buy something like this to see how much we would actuallly use a boat before spending the money on a pontoon. What do you guys think?