considering a 2000 Stingray 180 rs

coondogger

Cadet
I've been looking at a 2000 Stingray 180 rs. The engine seems clean. The battery had been removed for storage so I've yet to see it run. Anyway, the hull is very clean but the carpets are a bit mildewed. Also he has the full bimini and it has holes in it. I'm wondering how hard it would be to buy a new cockpit cover for the boat and what it would run. Also, I'm wondering what the boat rides like. He's not near water. The other boat I'm looking at is a 2007 Larson Sport 180. Both have 3.0L engines. Both similar hp: 140. So what should I know about the Stingray?

BamaCharlie

Cadet
Re: considering a 2000 Stingray 180 rs

I had the same boat and LOVED it (but moved up to a larger boat).
Stingrays are sporty fast boats and the 3.0 is a very fuel efficent engine.
As to the snap on bpw and cockpit cover I doubt that you will be able to find an orginial cover (or use it if you did because of the snap location not matching up with the current snaps) The carpet can be cleaned so I would not worry about it.
Now for the IMPORTANT part. IF YOU CAN NOT TAKE IT FOR A SEA (water) TRAIL DO NOT BUY IT
If the current owner will not take it to the lake or let you then something is most likely wrong with it. (and if he will not put the battery in and run it on muffs then you should not just walk away you should RUN away.)
Good luck !

coondogger

Cadet

The guy isn't anywhere near a body of water. But he said he'll put a battery in and run up the engine on muffs. I'd like to see how it runs, and whether the electronics are good, including the bilge pump. I'm a little concerned about the cover because I intend to keep the boat on a dock. There is currently a bimini that completely encloses the cockpit but it has two small (about an inch and a half and two inches) holes. Can these be repaired?

K9Deuce

Seaman Apprentice

I can say the 3.0 was a very good motor for me, I have one in my previous boat. I took good care of it and it treated me right. I never had any issues with it and it performed well. I pulled a tube with three adults on board with out a problem. As for the Stingray I can not give you any information.:)

BamaCharlie

Cadet

The bimini can be patched but it will be ugly and you can get a decent cover at BassPro or even Walmart for $150. The Bildge pump($30) is the cheapest of the problems that you will run into.
Running it on muffs is ok but not good enough. If he really wants to sell it he will let you test drive it.
One idea is for YOU to offer to tow the boat and take him with you to the lake.
If he is dead set on NO test drive then unless the boat is FREE then there is NO DEAL.
Not trying to be negative here but if you buy the boat with a test then you will soon be back on here asking:
Why did the motor overheat? or
Why did it not start? or
Where did the water come from? or even
Why did my boat sink?

Good luck

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Perhaps you can get him to agree to making a successful test drive a condition of sale. That way you show you're not just some tire kicker.

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

I've been looking at a 2000 Stingray 180 rs. The engine seems clean. The battery had been removed for storage so I've yet to see it run. Anyway, the hull is very clean but the carpets are a bit mildewed. Also he has the full bimini and it has holes in it. I'm wondering how hard it would be to buy a new cockpit cover for the boat and what it would run. Also, I'm wondering what the boat rides like. He's not near water. The other boat I'm looking at is a 2007 Larson Sport 180. Both have 3.0L engines. Both similar hp: 140. So what should I know about the Stingray?

See bold above.... does this mean the boat DOES NOT have a cover? If the mildew is from being stored outside without a cover i would run away.

If you cant test drive a boat DO NOT buy it. Running on muffs and running under resistance (in water) are two totally different things. Theres no resistance on the motor on land.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have the same boat but a bit older.
Contrairy to the above replies, I bought mine sight unseen, it was winterized and I knew the mechanic who has been tending to it since new- Putting it in the water was not an option.

Sure the bimini can likely be repaired, that is no big deal.
Cockpit/ bow cover custom made for mine last year ran around $650 if I remember right.
Almost all boat covers leak/ windshield leaks somewhere so a little wear is average, try cleaning it up/ steam cleaning it. I replaced my carpet as it was well beyond it's life span.

WHAT TO KNOW: Stingray is a very shallow boat and efficient light weight design. If you have rough water you may want to consider a deeper/ heavier boat. How much of a price difference is the 07 Larson? That is a MUCH newer boat...

jkust

Rear Admiral

Here's my thoughts. Mildew to me spells out a greater potential for a rotted but as yet unrealized floor. I dislike the 3.0 but if I was to buy a boat that had a 3.0 it would be a Stingray. Maybe a fun third boat for the calm days. That said the RS version of the Stingray is the ultra-entry level version. While I would accept an SR as mentioned it would not be an RS. As for the ability to run it. If you peruse these forums you will find more than an alarming number of stories of people who bought based on a muff-test only to discover that a muffs-only test can hide major issues only revealed by an on water and lengthy run.
As for the Larson, again, not a fan of the 3.0 and generally not a fan of mass produced VEC boats but if i'm buying a VEC boat, Larson isn't a bad choice. That said if I'm buying a 15k+ boat in this awful economy, I'm looking at getting more for less from a seller that needs to sell.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

I'd be concerned a lil about the mold/mildew but not overly. Sounds like the old cockpit cover was trashed like the bimini & leaked water in.

Stingray's a good boat. Several in the area. My lil bro bought a 19 footer new in '01 and it's treated him extremely well. With the 4.3 it'll do 50mph with half a dozen crew on board.

But I digress. I would not pay the seller in full until you've water tested the boat. Time was ya could take a man at his word. No mo. Call me jaded but that's just the way it is.