Confused on what type of fuel to use???

tkamboat

Cadet
I've read and been told so many different "best way" to fuel my boat that it's confusing. I have a 1983 140HP 2stroke SuzukiDT140. Just bought it a couple of months ago and I've put 100% pure gas in it twice (no ethanol). It's an older gas station and I'm sure not many people by the pure gas as it's 80 cents higher than his regular unleaded. I've been told to stick with that and Seafoam, but I've also been told to just go to one of the newer gas stations and use 89Octane with my Seafoam. This has led me to trying to figure out:

1. Could the 100% pure gas be too old and defeat the purpose of buying pure gas?
2. Even thought the new Exxon station that just opened up down the street has ethanol would it be better to use their mid-grade 89Oct. since I used Seafoam(2oz. per gallon).
3. Will using Seafoam with every gas purchase keep my jets clean if I'm going to have the boat parked for 2-3 weeks?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Confused on what type of fuel to use???

I would not over think the issue.

I would use regular grade pump gas (yes even E-10) since all fuels have contained the ethanol for over 30 years.

The sea foam is good to keep things clean and is NOT necessary for every tankful. If you use the fuel up within a month .....you will have no problems.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Confused on what type of fuel to use???

Using anything other than 87 octane in a 2 stroke is a waste of money as well.

Seafoam is very expensive to use as a fuel stabilizer. Good stuff, for cleaning the internal of the motor, but at $1.12 per gallon of treated fuel, way too expensive to use every day. In comparison, Marine Stabil is $0.17 per gallon of treated fuel.