Computer 24/7 below freezing....

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander
I have a PC in my garage running 24/7. Is there any concern with leaving it on all the time when temperatures are likely to be below freezing? I have it in power saving mode which means the monitor goes off, but the PC is in standy-by. Any key press brings it back to life where it left off. Thoughts?

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Computer 24/7 below freezing....

I can't think of any reason why not, as long as no frost or dew forms on anything. It's a bigger thermal shock to all the parts going from freezing to 100+ degrees when you're using it, but that's no different than just turning it on. Maybe you should just leave it on full power with the monitor off, that way the temperature always stays about the same. Just the computer sitting idle won't use very much power.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Electronic components enjoy the cold much more than you do. It'll be just fine.

Colorado04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You may want to check out the spec's from the manufacturer. I hear that CRT's don't cope well with being frozen. Colors go off and don't come back correctly after warming up. I have never put an LCD in conditions like that before, so couldn't say. Too expensive hardware to take a chance on it freezing and cracking or something.

ndemge

Commander

I have one in my garage, never turn off, monitor goes to screen saver so it's always on (and always warm)

briannh1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some people think that leaving the computer on all the time is good for the computer. I have had to fix several of these on-all-the-time computers and have advised people to turn them off when not in use.<br /><br />The computer itself is OK with cold temps. Same goes for the ram, HDD, etc... The bigger problem for a computer is excess heat.<br /><br />Unless there is a reason to leave the computer on (server, etc..) then turn it off.<br /><br />If you must leave it on then I recommend a good quality UPS. Otherwise some power line spike will lock up the computer, then the CPU fan will fail or fall off, the BIOS won't shut down and .... you CPU fry's (even in the cold)<br /><br />My 2 cents.<br /><br />- Brian

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by briannh1234:<br /> Some people think that leaving the computer on all the time is good for the computer. I have had to fix several of these on-all-the-time computers and have advised people to turn them off when not in use.
Come on now...don't be silly. There is absolutely no harm in leaving a computer on 24/7. Any stress caused by that is equal to or less than the stress caused by turning it on and off all the time. The computer I am typing on has been on for 3 years straight without a hickup...I don't recall ever even vacuuming the dust out of it.

ndemge

Commander

I leave my machines on 24/7... I may walk up to one and use it for 30 seconds, i'm not going to wait for it to boot and load everything every time I get the whim to do something.<br /><br />...Now, knowing that I leave them on forever, I expect to need more frequent cleaning, and I keep an eye out for dying fans

briannh1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya ZM, the fan is still spinning. Most computers nowaday's are supposed to handle a fan failure gracefully but I have seen it fail.<br /><br />It will last a long time 24/7. It will last longer if you turn it off.<br /><br />I did have a monitor failure once - the power button died. I still advise people to turn it off when not in use.<br /><br />I have seen boards and chips work themself's loose, and this can be cause by cycling temps that are caused by turn-on/turn-off cycles. But these failures are allways EZ to correct. (Just reseat the board/chip)<br /><br />- Brian

briannh1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

To answer the posters original question: the cold temps will not hurt the computer.<br /><br />- Brian

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by briannh1234:<br />It will last a long time 24/7. It will last longer if you turn it off.<br />
And what the hell are you saving it for? Any computer will easily last 10 years 24/7, and if it dies after that, (it won't) who cares? It's only worth about $5 at that point.<br /><br />There are ZERO advantages to turning it off. There are ZERO advantages to leaving it on. It will last exactly the same either way. But why would you want to wait for the computer to start every time you use it? That's like turning off your car at every stop sign to save gas.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I kinda see it as leaving your car on when it is in the garage!! you are not using it, why wait to start it up tomorrow? it is already running right? by the way I am just being a nerd and argumentitive, I leave my machines running all the time, but I like to do a reboot once a week just for luck!

Paul Moir

Admiral

Do shut down your monitors though, or allow it to go into low power mode. CRTs have a definite on time life-span, as do the available flat-screen technologies. Plus the CRT wastes a lot of electricity.<br />For what it's worth, my home computer is 24/7, running Prime95 which really heats up the processor. I think a lot of problems people have are with cheap power supplies - I've seen a number where the electrolytic capacitors dry out, go out of tolerance, and cause the computer to malfunction. Too many use 85° rated caps or really cheap 105° which can be worse. <br />As for cold, almost all hard drives are specified for use only 5°(C) above freezing so that could be a problem. I've never seen it personally but I'm sure there's a reason. Probably worried about the heads freezing to the platter or something. If left on and spinning, that won't be a problem.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the replies. The computer is inside a full size arcade machine, and it is simply a nuisance to turn it on and off manually. I'm familar with the arguments surrounding the 24/7 topic for 'normal' computers. In my instance, I'm only concerned about the cold temperatures; and specifically the risk of hardware damage.<br /><br />The potential condensation from temperature fluctuations has me nervous about the decision to leave it outside. It is only an entertainment PC used for gaming, a jukebox, and surfing the net. It is in the garage, because that is 'my space'.<br /><br />I'll continue to leave it on, based on what I read above. Thanks again.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Ah, I forgot who I was writing too. :) <br />Non-operating temperatures for all computer parts including hard drives go way down, -40C or something. You could stick a light bulb in the cabinet and fire it up once it warms up. That would probably be too much trouble to bother with.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Years ago the greatest chance of drive failure was during boot up. Now those days are gone, drives are much more robust. But I have to admit, in an office with hundreds of PCs, the ones left on 24/7 die quicker than those shut off at night. Then about a year ago a mandate came about saying to leave on all PC's on the windows login screen so automatic updates can take place overnight. Now we lose about 1 PC a week to drive failure, and one particular brand has make itself extinct due to mother board failure.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

motherboard failure huh, must be a Dell GX270 then, we had a whole lot of lot of NEC valuemates once, if you turned them off, the power supply blew up next time you turned it on, it was a bugger when we had a power failure

Originally posted by Paul Moir:<br /> Ah, I forgot who I was writing too.
Ah, Paul I think you were listed as one of the missing over on the dock. :eek: