#1 is 120psi
#2 is 120 psi
#3 is 35 psi
#4 is 115 psi
On a 1983 90 hp Evinrude
What are my options?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove cylinder head for inspection.----My guess is that you have broken piston rings which is very common.-----Motor will need to be rebuilt if that is in fact what is wrong.

Ranger330

Cadet
What are we talking in cost for a boat mech. Assuming $75 per hour labor rate? I have rebuilt carbs and replaced impeller but never been inside engine.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Pull the head first and see what you find. It could be just a blown head gasket. Easy to fix.

Ranger330

Cadet
Here is a little more info: I was running down the lake yesterday at about 5000 rpm when the engine started shaking and then just shut down. It started back up but was missing really bad. I idled back to the dock and shut it down for a few minutes. It never started back up. Also there is oil running down the sides of the engine from under the cowl. I will start to pull head off to see what it looks like.

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just rebuilt a 1989 90 Johnson....# 3 cyl. had busted ring.....central fl shops wanted 2500.00 to rebuild....I did it myself 1050.00 give or take....bored all 4 cyls...this was about 4 months ago and is running fine....this site helped me out alot

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You can replace just one piston-(even an oversize) that's an acceptable repair. ( Assuming the other 3 pistons are not too egg-shaped with age.) You will need to hone and put new ringsets on all 4 pistons. The powerhead will have to come off, so you may find that the powerhead base gasket has failed-the reason for the oil running down the midsection-so you'll fix that when you reassemble. If the ring let go, you may find that the head on one side is badly damaged-perhaps to the point it will need to be replaced.

Ranger330

Cadet
Thanks for all the replies! Any way you look at it.....it's not good. Even if I have to rebuild and try it myself I'm afraid I'll be out at least $1000.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have numerous V-4 motors with the same failure for parts and rebuild.---Some for free because big shops just do not rebuild them anymore.---Same failure will happen to most of these engines, it is just the design of the top ring that is the problem.

64osby

Admiral
If it's in the budget you might look for a replacement. $1000 or less can often buy an ugly project boat with a great motor. Dump the boat after salvaging what is good. Sell the trailer and boat parts. Then part out your parts motor. Some have done this to end up with a free or nearly free motor.