Compression tester

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer
Im looking at getting one, but Ive never used one so Im not really sure what to look for.

Theres a ton of them out there to sift through, but the ones with the rubber stopper seem like they would be the ticket. Seems they would fit a wide variety of gas powered engines. Is there a benefit of the screw in types? Tighter fit/more accurate reading?

Any opinions are welcomed.

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Compression tester

screw in type gives the most accurate reading, as long as the threads aren't stripped, IMHO anyway
rarely use the push in tip with ours

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Screw in for sure, I got mine at Auto Zone for $20ish and it comes with all kinds of adapters to fit whatever, you don't need a high dollar one no more than you will use it but they are nice to have.

I normally check mine once or twice a year just to see how she is doing.

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree, screw in for sure. The rubber stopper means that you need to hold it in place, rather than having that hand available for other things.

bucknutjoe

Seaman

I would ask two questions first: how often are you going to be using it, and how convenient is an Autozone location to you?

I was given ghis advice yesterday on here and did it already, what a great system. Autozone will allow you to basically rent them for free. They have nice, heavy duty testers that you basically put a $40+tax deposit on. Your money is returned when the compression tool is returned.

For a tool like this, that 99% of people aren't going to need very often at all, this is an unbelievably great system!

Good luck!
Joe

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Just a word of caution when using a comp tester. Some can be threaded in so far that the piston on some engines will hit the tester on the upstroke.. .

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

I would ask two questions first: how often are you going to be using it, and how convenient is an Autozone location to you?

I was given ghis advice yesterday on here and did it already, what a great system. Autozone will allow you to basically rent them for free. They have nice, heavy duty testers that you basically put a $40+tax deposit on. Your money is returned when the compression tool is returned.

For a tool like this, that 99% of people aren't going to need very often at all, this is an unbelievably great system!

Good luck!
Joe

Im sure I would use it enough on the '62 Johnny 28 to justify getting one, plus Ive got other engines where it would come in handy.

No Autozone nearby, theres not much of anything conveniently located in my area of backwoods Maine.

I was figuring the screw in types were more accurate, but was wondering about the thread depth and the piston striking as PTJ mentioned. I guess I'll look around for a kit with multiple fittings that doesnt reek of China. Any key elements/features to look for in a kit?

Thanks to everyone for their input.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

I had 2 comp testers. The better is the sears model I use now[[its over 10 yrs old, works like a champ], even after all the tool box abuse it has suffered., . Definitely get a screw in one, or ya will have to have a helper to use it, And as previously stated, beware of the reach of the threads. I would believe most testers have adapters so you can use em on any engine. ya just gotta remember to use em, compare the thread length of the spark plug to the testers thread length. One of the features that I like is the gauge swivels. My old one didn't, and Murphy was always there to make sure the gauge was facing the totally opposite way I would have liked it. :mad: Also make sure it has enough hose so you can observe the gauge as you crank the engine, ya wanna observe the gauge as ya use it. Get the better one, or you always be second guessing your readings....:confused: Theres my 1 1/2 cents worth...;):D